Canon unveils EOS 500D / Rebel T1i DSLR

From DPReview.com

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 25 March 2009: Canon announces the new 15.1MP EOS 500D which offers photographers an outstanding combination of features. Following the launch of the first Canon EOS camera to shoot movies – the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008 – Canon now brings Full High Definition (HD) video capability to consumers in a compact and lightweight DSLR.

The new EOS 500D features a 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor – ideal for large detailed prints or enormous cropping possibilities. For shooting in near-dark conditions, the EOS 500D offers a high ISO sensitivity up to 3200 which is expandable to 12800, giving photographers the power to shoot in the dimmest light conditions. Outstanding noise reduction is made possible by Canon’s DIGIC 4 processor.

The EOS 500D heralds a new way for photography enthusiasts to capture their world. It pairs outstanding still image capture with Full HD 1080P video recording. For longer video shoots, users can also choose lower shooting resolutions of 720P or VGA.*

Features at a glance:

• 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Full HD movie recording with HDMI connection for viewing and playback on an HDTV
  • ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)
  • 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting
  • Max. 170 large JPEG images in a single burst
  • 3.0â€￾ ClearView LCD with Live View mode
  • 9-point wide area AF with cross type centre point
  • High speed DIGIC 4 performance and superb image quality
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites, including new Speedlite 270EX, TS-E 17mm f/4L and TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Haven't seen a price yet.

Couple more links:
Gizmodo said:
The rumors were true. Canon has crammed the $1500 50D's sensor and 5D-Mark-II-like 1080p video capture into an $899 entry-level Rebel. We ran it through its paces for a few hours, and it's awesome.
--> Gizmodo

Imaging-Resource said:
Canon's consumer SLR line has a new flagship: the 15.1-megapixel EOS Rebel T1i. Once again, we see a new SLR from Canon in less than 18 months from the last in a given line. It's actually only eight months since the XS was announced, and about 14 since the XSi; either way you look at it, competition has shortened product cycles in the digital SLR space.
--> Imaging Resource

From DPReview.com

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 25 March 2009: Canon announces the new 15.1MP EOS 500D which offers photographers an outstanding combination of features. Following the launch of the first Canon EOS camera to shoot movies – the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008 – Canon now brings Full High Definition (HD) video capability to consumers in a compact and lightweight DSLR.

Haven't seen a price yet.

List price (US) • Body only: $799
• Kit: $899 (with 18-55 mm IS lens)

Looks like a HUGE leap for the Rebel line. No-brainer if you aren't using the prosumer models (and some features not currently found on them). I'm guessing this means an upgrade coming for the 50d and sooner than you might think, IMHO.

More pixels on the same size chip has me concerned about noise. We have to be reaching the limit of what can be done with the APC-S sized chips.

The "Full High Definition" video is only 720p, by the way.

The thing that gets me is that it is a bit annoying for the next Rebel to do what the 50D can't -- video. 50D is still "prosumer" class, much like the 5Dmkii -- and so it'd make sense that if they're going to slap video on everything else, they'd slap it on the 50D too. Wonder if 50D has a built in microphone anywhere? It uses the Digic 4 processor, which can do video... it'd just need a firmware upgrade.

Just picked one of these up, and I really like it so far.
Other than the noise... it is better than our XTi, but I was hoping for more.
The ISO expansion to 12800 is rather silly, but it may come in handy some day for a sasquatch shot in the dark or something.
Since we don't see many clouds used in tests on the popular review sites, here is a patch of virga at 100% crop

090505isotest.jpg

Full size jpegs here

Back