Camping out in your car while chasing

From time to time I have slept in my Xterra or van. I usually do truck stops or a rest area. Sometimes it has been to save money, and other times just safety, just too tired to keep driving. Bring a mask unless you have something to block the lights. I asked a truck stop if it was ok I slept for a few hours, they just looked at me like an idiot, because of course it is ok. I also slept just off the cap rock once cause I couldn't make it to Lubbock since I was so tired. It was nice waking up to the terrain that's just where the caprock ends. If you are continuing chasing, while not cheap, I do recommend a truck stop shower. Most are very well kept up, and it's amazing how much a shower refreshes you for the day. Have fun, good luck.

During my most recent chase, I car camped in a couple Walmart parking lots. The first was in Guymon Oklahoma, where I chose the southeast Colorado target (I knew it was a mistake with all the rain cooled air around but I went with the masses instead of my gut). The second night was in Colby Kansas which was difficult to find an isolated area to park. I ended up having car troubles, so I had to call the entire chase off and missed the Lynnwood EF-4. I have car camped country roads earlier this year with no issues ( this was the day of the Donnellson Illinois tornado producer , but as Dan said, it can take a while to find a good spot. The sunrise was amazing to say the least.

This is a great thread! My chase partner and I are thinking about taking advantage of the cheap gas and lack of structure due to the virus and take out first chasecation. We would be camping out with a tent, bringing all of our food beforehand. Tent camping sounds to me like the best plan to both keep isolated and save money. Does anyone have experience with tent camping and chasing? For a 2 week trip (upper end of how long it may be), what is a ballpark budget? Any tips on items to bring? Also, are state parks, etc going to be open to camping, or are they all shut down? Which states may be opening up first? Thanks.

Why don't we start a thread each season for people wanting to offer up a place for chasers to stay when they're in the area? I know we start one each season for chase partners so it may not be a bad idea. I know for me personally, I'd off up my driveway/backyard or a warm shower for someone to crash for a night or two while they're passing through.

Why don't we start a thread each season for people wanting to offer up a place for chasers to stay when they're in the area? I know we start one each season for chase partners so it may not be a bad idea. I know for me personally, I'd off up my driveway/backyard or a warm shower for someone to crash for a night or two while they're passing through.
In normal circumstances, sure, great idea. Right now, sorry, I don't want any of you travelling jokers near me or mine.

Back