Best day that NEVER PRODUCED a t0rnado (but had everything else)

What is BEST DAY (or near or NIGHT)
for you that never produced a tornado ?

(but had everything else?)

(1) Name (and partners)
(2) Date
(3) Where
(4) circumstances etc
(5) what else did you see? any people with you ? other stuff?
(6) webpage with pics for us to look at photos / videos /blog

Mine was with Doug Raflik in Texas in June 2002.
What an amazing day.
More later with the links and pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
(1) Chris Hayes. My chase partner was my grandpa, and we hooked up with some other chasers that day
(2) May 15, 2003
(3) Near Shamrock, Texas
(4) We missed the tornadic storm near Statford, but got on a tornadic storm near shamrock and saw large hail near baseball size, and a near 60mph inflow jet. LP storm had great structure early on.

(1) terry tyler, partner chris tyler
(2) may, 31 2006
(3) I-70 corridor/eastern, CO
(4) saw quarter-size hail, HP into a more outflow dominant linear system...nice shelf cloud, and a funnel north of flagler...
(5) i do not understand the question
(6) you can look back in time of my chaseblog...since im not a professional, i dont not own a website yet... http://www.xanga.com/mid_s0uth_chaser

I'll bite on Terry's day too..... it was a 10% tornado day for SE Colorado but all of the action happened farther north.....

Crazy dusty strom (May 31, 2006) near the CO/KS border near Sharon Springs, KS

may31jz1.jpg

illmeso3.jpg

(1) Kevin Myatt with Dave Carroll and the rest of our Virginia Tech, UNC-Asheville, Pulaski County High School, Radford University gang -- Seth Price, David Ramsaur, Jacob Carley, Amy Harless, Stephanie Taylor, Brittany Livingston, Beth Owens, Paula Flinchum, Alison Toney and Lorenza Cooper
(2) May 17, 2006
(3) Between Monticello and Maroa, Illinois
(4) Most people had given up chasing because of the huge Hudson Bay vortex that swept the country clear. We had no choice but to chase something since we had 2 weeks set aside to do just that. We went after a disturbance diving SE in the NW flow from Canada, found one storm on the western edge of marginal instability, shear and moisture .. and got an unforgettable treat of multiple rotating wall clouds passing us by like floats in a parade. (This was our 3rd storm in 4 days in a really lame pattern -- caught a small tornado outside Raleigh, NC, on May 14)
(5) ????
(6)http://blogs.roanoke.com/weatherjournal/storm_chasing/amazing_chase.html

Last edited by a moderator:
1. David Draun: I was riding with Dan and Matt Robinson, and their friend, Tom Mullins. I was in a convoy of vehicles that included Kurt Hulst and Nick Grillo.
2. May 25th 2006
3. Bootheel of MO near Poplar Bluff and I-55
4. Nothing else to do than chase a marginal setup in the SW end of a slight risk. We left from Western MO around noon, and watched the CU bubble up over the Ozarks. One persistent group of towers slowly grew into a thunderstorm and became supercellular by the time we reached Poplar Bluff. The risk was upgraded to moderate and tornado watches were issued by late afternoon, I thought we nailed it.:) It was really my first time seeing great supercell structure in virtually clear surrounding skies. I saw a few attempts at wall clouds and funnels. The storm maintained a tornado warning for a couple hours. Too bad the base was too high or I believe it would have produced. More supercells and multicells developed in its vicinity. These storms were very slow moving at first, before the squall line formed to the NW. After a while, the storms congealed into a masssive bomb of an MCS, producing some of the most crazy, frequent, and deadly CG lightning I have ever seen! NWS Paducah says up to 8000 strikes per hour! I was able to have a few photos turn out well from the awesome light show, despite using a point and shoot digital camera. Fun night, including the 1am breakfast at Dennys near St. Louis. Good times.

Hey Dr. Flescher, that was the day before we picked you up to go to the Dakotas with us!

Last edited:
Back