Beginner seeking additional help for chasing in 2018

Andrew Malsbury

Enthusiast
As this is my first post on the forum, I'll give a small introduction. My name is Andrew M. and I am a rising high-school senior living in New Orleans. As i was raised in central Texas, I am extremely interested in meteorology and severe storms. The school sanctioned senior trip will be to Disney World, but to me and my friend Lillian, that sounds incredibly boring. That's when i put out the idea of going storm chasing and she loved it. That was about 3 weeks ago and we have both been doing research since. Coming across this site has helped me along substantially and i figure i might as well ask for help. Okay intro over...
TLDR: Im a noob wanting help

So here is why i posted in equipment:

My grandfather recently passed and i was given his old 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab that had a camper shell on the back. First question is: is this a decent truck for storm chasing?
2000-dodge-dakota_0886c9c5.jpg download.jpg 2001-dodge-dakota_0786c9c5.jpg

After doing some research I put together this quick amazon list of the equipment i should buy to be prepared for just about anything. Is this a good list? http://a.co/bROAABW

Any suggestions for edits on either of the two would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I admire your enthusiasm. It's nice to see the younger generation taking an interest in storm chasing. I do have that uneasy feeling that though, after going through your shopping list, that you are looking at this in the same way you would a camping trip. Putting a list of things together that you think you may need and heading out. I'm concerned that you may not be puttting in the ground work as far as learning storm structure and the do's and don't of storm chasing first.
The vehicle would be just fine for storm chasing. Most vehicles would. Please take a lot of time learning everything you can before even going out. Storm chasing can be extremely complex and jumping in without a solid foundation is asking for trouble. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just concerned you might be taking a bigger bite than you can chew right now. You have a whole lifetime to chase.
For instance, learn first aid before buying a first aid kit and chase some local low end events before taking off after a long distance high risk event

Last edited:
I appreciate the warning, but that is why i am planning an entire year ahead of time to learn more about the structure of the storm. I already bought and am planning to watch the 7 hour Storm Structure101 educational video. And by camping trip i assume youre referencing the shower and truck bed mattress. I am looking at it to a point as a camping trip. My aunt lives in OKcity and that will be our home base for the few weeks were out. But i am certain that at some point we will not be able to get back and will be easier to stay the night in a small town on the cheap. I am dearly sorry if i sound a little offensive, not at all the goal. Just trying to make the situation as easy to understand as possible, and I am etremely thankful for the advice :p

You're going to watch a 7 hour video just on storm structure? Well, okay, that's good, I guess. If anyone were to ask me "What advice would you give someone who has never chased?" (which you are, in a way) I would say to understand that chasing is 95% failure, and if you can accept that, good. You're gonna be advised to tag along with someone with experience, too, and I can't argue with that. Keep your distance from the storms (as a noob), and always, always, have at least one escape route. You've seen video shot from insanely close proximity to tornadoes. Don't be that guy. Leave that to the veterans. First aid? I can't say forget it, but I haven't personally come across a use for it.

Thanks Bob, i feel that if i get too close, ill probably poop myself. So not gonna do that. and i dont want to have to use first aid, but id rather having it if i dont need it then not have it and need it. The video is the one linked under the sticky in the beginners thread.

I wouldn't buy anything on your list. Maybe the camera if you don't have a DSLR or nice bridge camera, and a heavy tripod- don't buy the cheap light weighted ones as they will fall over even in the slightest gust. I don't think I own one thing on your list as nothing there is going to benefit me or anyone for that matter. Personal choice though. When starting out, I think the common mistake is buying all this nonsense and then it's just lying around and you've wasted your money.

I run rogue. I drive my car, have my camera gear, and an iPad or my phone for radar and mesoanalysis. Nothing else is important to me besides snacks and beverages. I can't offer first aid as I'm not trained nor will I ever because it's not for me. I won't sleep on the side of roads due to the twisted world we live in. I easily pass as just some random dude driving somewhere and no one knows. That's what is awesome.

The DVD video is fine. It's educational to a point but nothing beats experience as everything is different in the field. I suggest getting out on marginal days maybe slight days and learn how to drive with the storms. Study radar and learn it perfectly. Sign up at comet.ucar.edu and take several courses. They are all free. If your into meteorology like you suggest, this stuff is a great place to start.

Good luck in your chasing career. Just know that failure happens a lot and is very discouraging in the beginning. Tons of new people try chasing and most end up quitting after the first failed season. Also find Skip Talbots video of Storm Spotting Secrets on YouTube and watch it, maybe countless times till you burn in all his suggestions in your brain.

Oh and don't let anyone discourage you from chasing if that's what you want to do.

No video, or text book will teach you how to chase and what to chase. It will only tell you how to recognise what you are seeing. Being in the field and feeling that wind shift, feeling the temp change etc and knowing what is about to happen only comes with practice. I suggest finding an experienced chaser your season. You will be so obcessed on the storm you'll forget to give yourself a way out incase it goea down the drain. All thar extra stuff you don't need. A camera, radar and food/drink is all a chaser needa.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Stormtrack mobile app

Good advice and insights above here in this thread - you will also be able to search for other threads here on ST about starting out and see other great advice.
No-one wants a lecture on safety, and I'm certainly not going to do as such, other than make the point that most of the time is spent driving, and driving is inherently quite dangerous, and is also where you can affect yourself and others, in a bad way, most easily. So don't be distracted when driving! Other than that, have fun and stay safe!

Hey, Ive got an accosiates degree in photography so ask me anything about camera gear. I've done more research then i can think in that catagory. As far as what is on your list, You can invest in a cb radio which also has a pa function but no real need for it since you are not an emergency personnel. For the bed of your truck just build your own sleeping platform, one where you can put storage under it and onto and then you can sleep on it at night if you choose too. May want some curtains as well to prevent prying eyes. If you are going to buy a power inverter get one that can support your needs and then some. Also pure sine wave power inverters Will make sure no damage is caused to your electronics. Get the lighter from auxbeam on amazon, defiantly the highest quality ones on amazon, the don't leak or fog up and they are built to last. And for a tripod get something that is going to last, That is something you only want to buy once. Oben, Manfrotto, and a few other brands are good, Check out bhphotovideo.com for all camera needs. For the signal booster check out the we boost drive 4g-s, and also search on amazon for a 12v cooler for car. I do like the safety tape for the back of your car. i will be using some on my Subaru, lights are distracting so i stay away from them. Im about to purchase a

I don't really see a need for much of anything on your list. Fire extinguisher would be good, as would first aid kits, but I don't have either. I should, but I guess I'm just lazy.

I would highly recommend the RAM Mount & vehicle specific mounting plate if looking to do a laptop mount. The rest just suck quite frankly. Direct wiring an inverter to the battery is also recommended, but make sure you fuse both ends. It's a good time to learn about DC power.

And I'll take some flak for it, but a radar detector is really useful.

Seriously, though... Reach out to some experienced chasers and ask if you can ride along next season. I've taken quite a few in the past and was grateful to have some take me along when I was newer. You'll learn the most that way.

The vehicle should also be good, but just remember to keep it maintained with oil changes and keep good tires on it - looks like you have a nice set on there right now.

Most importantly, keep a great attitude. Never assume you are better than anyone out there. Take advice from veterans. Don't go out there just for attention "Look at me!!" factor. A lot do, but it's ridiculous at any rate. I go out and learn from storms, every time.

I'll echo the comments of others on this thread that chasing with an experienced/veteran chaser is a great route to take. You'll learn more from doing that than you will watching many videos or reading many books, blogs, or websites. Also, take a spotter training course from your local NWS office.

Final thing to keep in mind: it's mid-late June, which means the traditional chase season is winding down, and organized/widespread severe weather events on the Plains are going to become exceedingly rare. Thus, this isn't the best time of year to get your first experience with typical chasing. Also, spotter training classes are unlikely to be held anytime for the next several months. The best time to get into it would be the late winter and early spring down in LA. Your local office will probably hold spotter training classes in January or February, and the season is at its peak down there in Feb-Apr.

So maybe actually taking the time to do your homework with videos and books is actually not a bad idea for now. Don't get your hopes up of getting to go on an actual legitimate chase anytime in the next few weeks or months, though. Again, climatologically, that time of the year has passed.

Focus on SAFETY AND EDUCATION FIRST. Read and watch videos all “off” season. Read threads on StormTrack. Stay back from storms for a year or two until you know what you are looking at.

When it’s time to actually go out and chase get these items.
Laptop that can handle radar, maps, editing software, GPS, etc.
RAM mount or similar for laptop
GPS puck (Must have by storms)
Inverter wired directly to your battery for plug in power
Internet … mobile hotspot or what have you
Vehicle cell phone charger
Video and/or cameras for documention
First aid kits (For you or others)

I have a resue bags with comfort items and stuff to dig people out of homes. You will not need that immedialty because you are staying back remember? ;)

Obey traffic laws ... stop at stop sign etc. Don’t be a douche and get light bars, stickers and such … you can get very successful if you are normal … well kinda normal we are chasers. :confused::confused:

Good luck

Back