• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Aquapel and Rainx tips

adlyons

EF2
All, I recently did my yearly application of Aquapel to "rainproof" the windshields. Not sure if many folks are doing that these days? For me its a yearly ritual. I found a very nice video from a youtube channel on cleaning your windshield prior to applying your preferred rainproof. I followed what he did and I noticed an immediate difference. I think the use of a clay bar on the windshield is a good idea as it grabs more than just glass cleaner allowing for a better application. Heres the video.

I've used Aquapel a few times, but it was always hard to find and kind of expensive @ $20 for 1 application. I loved how it worked though. I recently tried Armor All's "Extreme Shield Ceramic Glass Treatment and Cleaner" (also used Mothers clay bar before hand). I think it works as well as Aquapel, and it's about $6 at Walmart. A can will last many uses.

I've used Aquapel a few times, but it was always hard to find and kind of expensive @ $20 for 1 application. I loved how it worked though. I recently tried Armor All's "Extreme Shield Ceramic Glass Treatment and Cleaner" (also used Mothers clay bar before hand). I think it works as well as Aquapel, and it's about $6 at Walmart. A can will last many uses.
Roger, since you’ve used both of those products, could you tell us how long they last and if they work as well as Rainex?

I work in the autoglass industry and I would not use rainx at all on or in my vehicle unless the vehicle I just didn't care about. The chemicals in rainx (over time) stains the glass and paint-job, and eats away at the molding around your glass. There is even a class action lawsuit against rainx concerning their washer fluid with its harsh chemicals destroying wiper hoses and sensors.

Thanks for the heads up, Will. I have used the RainX spray on my windshields and side windows for years with no problems. Perhaps it is a matter of how you apply. I always spray onto a cloth and then rub the cloth onto the glass (as per the instructions) rather than spraying directly onto the glass. Sure, you need to wash your hands afterward to get rid of that alcohol smell.

It has always worked extremely well for me provided I apply two coats at a time. One coat wears off quickly with any amount of wiper use.

Roger, since you’ve used both of those products, could you tell us how long they last and if they work as well as Rainex?

RainX usually lasts me 1-2 months depending on how much rain & bug guts I encounter. The thing I like least about RainX is the haze that I get at night when passing overhead lights, while it's raining.

Aquapel lasted much longer than Rainx, closer to 6 months usually. It's just much harder to find (tint shops is where I normally found it). The new Armor All ceramic stuff works just as well as Aquapel IMO, and at less than $10 per bottle, will do every window & mirror on your car multiple times, when an Aquapel application will get your windshield and maybe your front door glass for $20 a pop (assuming Aquapel is still $20 per applicator).

I swear by Aquapel. You can get a 10-pack on Amazon for $30. They say 6 months, but I've found it works much longer than that. Rain may not fly off the windshield, but it still beads up, even a year later. Rain-X does make the water fly off the windshield, but every time I've used it it's pretty much gone once I've turned the wipers on.

I've always used RainX for the last 20 plus years, and have thought it's been a lifesaver at times when in extremely heavy precip, like when core punching. I always would clean off all my vehicle's glass after a chase the next morning when gassing up and readying the vehicle for the next days chase, and would re-apply again then. I enjoyed that ritual a LOT....so I didn't look at it like it was a hassle. It's true though....with heavy wiper use, RainX seemed to get scraped off enough for the need to reapply.

Back