Announcement about a new National Weather Training Resource

Hello Fellow Chasers,
I would like to formally announce the Disaster Weather Research Center. The center is a project that was started by Josh Jans and Randy Denzer (formally of MESO) over 2 years ago and is still in the works. The project is using what we learn in the field to teach the first response community in preparation, response and operations involving severe weather. We have been joined by chasers John Grizwold, Shane Motley, and Sam Furman, in driving the project forward. The project was developed by a combination of comprehensive surveys of first responders and members of FEMA across the nation and BETA testing. We are proud to have put together a BETA test group and advisory panel of top professionals from both the weather community and the First response community who have been instrumental in the development of our program.

Within the next 2 months, we will be releasing the first step of our online training program, "Hazardous Weather Awareness for the first responder". This class will be a complete online training program directed towards teaching first responders basic weather in a format that is easy to understand and navigate. This class provides a medium in which the students will learn to recognize severe weather and the effects it will have on them before, during and after an emergency response. Upon completion of the Awareness class, the student will have the ability to take his or her training to a higher level with an Hazardous Weather Operations for First Responder and then followed by a Hazardous Weather Technician level (in development). Our goal is to make these classes available to the entire nation within the next year.

We will be hosting a field research team National Storm Research who will be out there for storm development video and response studies. If you get storm or response footage you are interested in donating for training purposes, please let me know.

Future goals will include the creation of a resource network for chasers to have the ability to recieve basic medical training and emergency scene safety classes to help you help those you may come across on the chase. More to come on this later.

You are welcome to visit our website at: http://www.disasterweathercenter.org/index.html

If you have any questions or need information you are welcome to send me a message.

Thank you and hope to see you out there...

Randy Denzer

We are currently looking for a driver based in Texas for the 2008 season. Anyone interested please contact me by private message.

Thanks,
Randy

Back