6/29/08 Reports: WA

Billy Griffin

Had the pleasure of a family fun weekend, followed by a day of semi-local chasing here in the Pacific Northwest. Started the day in the Seattle area, hoping for some good convection along the I-5 corridor and point east, into the foothills of the Cascades.

Sure enough, shortly after the noon hour, storms erupted to my south, in much of Oregon and southwestern Washington. These cells were moving rapidly north but remained mostly over the mountains.

Near the town of Enumclaw, WA, I managed to capture a few lightning shots before a fairly intense hail core caught up with me near Mt. Rainier National Park.

While battling the storms, I also had to deal with the terrain and road network, which is quite a challenge with active 15,000 ft. volcanoes surrounding your chase terrain. Nevertheless, the mountains made for some incredible backdrops to some amazing photos and video and just an alright fun day of observing severe storms in a place not so accustomed to such violent storms. Got to meet a lot of interesting folks along the way, as they were rather surprised to see an Oklahoma storm chase vehicle navigating the highways of the intermountain Pacific NW! ;)

Just a few quick snapshots posted below. Will post more links to some great video and better pictures tomorrow.

Image0.jpg
Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg
Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back