6/22/07 REPORTS: NE / IA

Chadron, NE slow-moving high-based supercell

What an excellent photography day... probably my best storm photography day of the year. Vince and I targetted the area over the northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle near Harrison. We were worried about the low dewpoints out this far west... but also realized that quality moisture was just east of our target area...and on increasing southeasterly surface winds by late afternoon/early evening...the western edge of this moisture would make it towards our target. On our drive west we noticed storms firing over the Black Hills area which were rather disorganized on radar and not moving much. Once we got to Pine Ridge and had a quick lunch, we dropped south as some congested cumulus southeast of us caught our eye...which was a little bit closer to the deep moisture. We eventually made it over towards Chadron and then just west of there where we drive around this small lake near Whitney. The area of cumulus to our east finally developed into a storm about 30 miles east of us, so after driving around the small lake we back-peddled towards Chadron and continued east of town about 4 or 5 miles. We had a great backside view of a small storm that indicated severe hail potential on radar and eventually split. After the storm split, both members of the split appeared less interesting visually. One thing we noticed at our stopping location was that our winds increased fairly substantially out of the southeast. This was very interesting and we thought for a moment it could possibly be outflow from that storm... but we were too far away and the storm was too small for this to be outflow... plus it was still quite warm.

Looking back to the west where there was already some high-based disorganized convection...we became more interested with this newly-found strong southeast wind. Sure enough, a storm west of Chadron began to reveal a more interesting dark base and we headed back west a bit towards Chadron. Just before getting into town, we went north on a road that lead up a hill overlooking Chadron. What a view! I remember watching a storm several years ago from this very same hilltop in fact. The next one hour was just fantastic! We watched the storm develop right in front of our eyes to our west overlooking Chadron... developing into very organized high-based structure. At least two formidable rain-foots were highly visible and very impressive off to the west. In fact, the Chadron Airport measured a wind gust of 60 mph right near where this rain-foot was.

Mammatus was also taking on nice structure to our northeast spreading out from the storm. The sound of distant continuous grumbling was just great! The color contrast in the sky was just awesome. Vince was shooting time-lapse video of the whole thing... a solid 55 minutes from our one location on the hill east of town. We headed east finally as the slow moving storm was getting a bit too close, so we continued on east to stay far enough ahead to get the good updraft structure. Circular updraft structure revealed the mesocyclone rotation within the storm. We even had some high-based wall clouds develop with really interesting rotation at times.

Finally at sunset, we went south from Hay Springs a few miles as mammatus was beginning to glow beautiful orange and gold in the direction of the setting sun. We were at this stopping location for about 1hr and 10 minutes south of Hay Springs as Vince once again shot about an hour of time-lapse video of the sunset with the incredible mammatus.... adjacent a field of waving wheat. That whole couple of hours was just high-quality photography all-around... and the slow movement of the storm allowed Vince to get some really long time lapse. A very fun and rewarding day and very near our target area... so it was nice to see our chase forecast verify nicely. 2 images follow. A few more are on my blog at http://www.underthemeso.com/blog

_DSC9249.jpg

_DSC9320.jpg

Mods, prb just want to add NE as a thread, wasnt planning on chasing , but i saw storms fire as soon as i was getting off work. I played with the stuff out by Wahoo NE, some good lightning , but i always miss the hail! lol, short story i ended up in Crete NE, taking backgroads alot of heavy rain fell, im suprised there wasn't an urban and small stream advisory, i cant remember what the street was but if your coming from out of town on gravel and into Crete, by the Mills, that main road was just water, i did see some branches and limbs down near the park. I let the line go as i made my way back and well the sunset paid off mostly , this sky was orange with the thunderstorm line, and a good display of mammatus, very vibrant in color.

creteneb.jpg

beautiful.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would add an Iowa report to this. Pretty good day for a chase in central Iowa. Started the day just northwest of Madrid, soon after I arrived the storm was tornado warned, I witnessed wall cloud with rotation eventually was engulfed in rain. After that I decided to slide south East to intercept a cell coming in to Des Moines. I found myself right in front of a rapidly forming bow echo. Exited in Cumming and soon found myself right in front of a tornado. Being a bow packed with flooding rain made it very hard to see the tornado. I traveled East From Cumming to Norwalk, being in the tornadoes path virtually the whole way. was able to get a few pics along the way. While In Norwalk I was stuck a stoplight with the tornado less than 1/2 mile to my south west. Just a little to close to worry about pics. :eek: The only pic I was able to get of the tornado turned out like crap. First pic 3 mi. East of Cumming(I later came back to the lacation of the pic and it had extensive damage). Second Pic East of Norwalk. After getting a little close to the tornado I decided to head south to get out of its path since it was so hard to see.(3rd pic Storm approaching Indianola, 4th just as it blew over.. Man what a Soaker!!

Attachments

• norwalk-1.jpg
    norwalk-1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 83
  • norwalk 2.jpg
    norwalk 2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 93
  • norw. ind.jpg
    norw. ind.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 98
  • norwalk.jpg
    norwalk.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 81
Went out on the SVR in Fremont County, IA hoping to get some good lightning shots but there wasn't much lightning with it. Noticed some light circulation on the SW of the storm which was the first shot below. 2nd shot was from about 5 miles closer and was still showing some circulation but was becoming outflow dominant and was gone within a few minutes. These were from right on the IA/MO border.

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Back