5/24/09 DISC: Northeast

Mods: I thought it best to keep this a separate thread from the other May 24 discussion dealing with events elsewhere in the US. If this was wrong to do, please move this to the appropriate place. Thanks.

I’m kind of surprised at the way the severe weather threat yesterday in the Northeast was handled, both prior to and as the event unfolded. There were several interesting actions either taken or not taken by both SPC and local NWS offices, and I‘d love to know why certain decisions were made the way they were.

The models indicated that there were going to be widespread strong thunderstorms in the area, and the night before the event I thought a Slight Risk was likely and said as much here on ST. SPC eventually did upgrade to Slight, but I’m baffled by the decision to go with a 0% tornado risk. After looking at the NAM, the parameters all seemed to indicate that supercells were a definite possibility, and I was intrigued to see that most of the available shear/helicity was progged to be in the lowest kilometer. I know things like tornado probabilities are extremely hard to forecast with any accuracy, and I suppose the process is always going to be a bit subjective, but to say flatly that there is zero likelihood of any tornadoes forming in an environment where surface based supercells appear likely, that’s a pretty bold statement. The zero seems to have held up so far, though, since there were in fact no tornado reports, so I guess I should really be impressed by SPC’s accuracy. I dunno, I guess that’s one way of looking at it.

What really perplexes me is the lack of even a severe watch box. There was a “watch possible†MD, and then after things were well underway with several ongoing supercells, including one T-warned, there was a follow-up “watch unlikely†MD, and that was that. No watch was ever issued. I think 4 cells were eventually T-warned at one time or another (but maybe some shouldn’t have been, which I’ll get to) and there were numerous severe warnings throughout the afternoon, so in the end it turned out to be quite an active day, as the Storm Reports page shows. Clearly the Slight Risk verified, and maybe even a small Mod Risk would have verified, but just as clearly a Watch would have been very helpful to local officials and the public. I really don’t know why one wasn’t issued.

Now lets look at the tornado warnings. The first significant supercell in CT developed near Hartford, with backbuilding helping to boost helicity as it often does around here. This cell was really spinning like a top, on velocity scan it reminded me of the cell last year that dropped a big multivortex tornadic waterspout off Milford. I figured a T-warning was imminent. Then another supercell developed in NW CT that was also obviously rotating, and for a while both these cells were showing nice hooks on radar. To my knowledge the Hartford cell was never T-warned, and the Danbury cell was warned only after it had obviously lost most of it punch and rotation. There were a couple of further tornado warnings issued a bit later for remnant cells that looked laughable on radar. I suppose it’s possible that a TVS may have popped up on these cells for a scan or two, although if so I missed it, but I simply can’t believe there was any kind of persistent tornadic signature, especially on the last warning for New Haven at 6:10 for a cell I could barely even locate on radar, let alone see to be rotating. I assumed at the time that there must have been some kind of visual reports triggering these warnings, yet the text on all the warnings stated only that they were doppler indicated, with no mention of any sightings or reports.

So, on the one hand we have SPC seeming to want to downplay the whole event, with no watch box and 0% tornado probs, and on the other hand there were local NWS offices issuing radar-indicated tornado warnings for cells that were pretty clearly in no danger of tornadoing, but only after seemingly ignoring those same cells when they were at their most dangerous. At least that’s how things looked to me. Just to be clear, I emphatically do not want to criticize either SPC or NWS Upton in any way. They both do a superb job. It would be nice to know, though, just what their thinking was for this event, so I could figure out what it was they were seeing that I wasn’t, or vice versa.

Attachments

• 52409sr.jpg
    52409sr.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 74
I too was really surprised yesterday when they had a 0% probability for tornadoes in the NE. It wasn't like they were calling for a high wind event. They specifically mentioned supercells. I was also surprised when they didn't issue a WW when clearly severe wx was widespread.

I was watching all those cells yesterday on GRlevel2. For a brief period of time, they looked impressive but quickly feel apart. That's one of the reasons why I didn't chase yesterday. Also the fact that the Long Island Sound is a hurdle to get over. ;)

A little off topic, sorry, but do you have anymore info on that Milford waterspout? This is my first time hearing about it. Did you actually see it?

Perhaps the reason SPC wasn't as gung-ho about the situation in the northeast yesterday was because they knew something that wasn't entirely obvious. Were LCL's too high? That can make tornadic development very difficult. Also, shear in the low levels is good, but you want deep layer shear to get supercells and tornadoes. Also, even if there was lots of shear in the lowest 1 km or so, if there wasn't much, or any, 0-3 km CAPE, then low-level shear can be made to be somewhat useless (there would've been no updraft low enough to tilt and stretch that low-level shear. It seems that they properly did a "non-forecast" for tornadoes and did hit it, either accidentally or not. I didn't really follow the event, but I'm willing to bet someone knew something that was causing SPC to not buff up the event.

Actually it was the opposite. The CAPE was good, around 2500 in CT. But the shear was lacking and that's what made it a so-so event and not a historical event. The LCLs weren't all that high considering the temps were in the mid 80s and the Tds in the 70s.

Dave, I agree. Golf Ball sized hail in central MA with a funnel cloud spotted in Millbury, MA. Really little warning on these rotating storms. Thankfully alarms went off in our community. Will post video soon.

Dave, I agree. There was sufficient CAPE and shear for sever storms across southern New England that day, and numerous severe reports followed.

My wife and I followed an elevated supercell from Huntington, CT to Bridgeport and watched it move into the Long Island Sound. The storm had mid level rotation and a great mid level RFD, along with numerous cloud to ground lightning strikes. The SPC storm reports indicates nickel sized hail was produced from this storm.

A severe watch box probably should have been issued.

Cheers,

Jim Bishop

Low-level shear was relatively weak across srn New England, and I seem to recall that the biggest hail was with a left split (don't have radar sitting in front of me right now). The lack of 2% tornado probabilities reflected the relative confidence of the forecasters that low-level shear would remain weak, but I suppose you can always make some argument in favor of low tornado probabilities in any supercell environment.

The decision to go with no watch was a collaborative effort between the SPC and several NWS offices, as always. There was enough concern expressed by SPC to send the MD and conduct a conference call to discuss the situation, but the consensus favored no watch.

Rich T.

This is just a small sampling of the hail that pounded my own home. Large for the Northeast.
Hail.jpg

This home was just done the street from me. Cedar siding faired better then vinyl siding.
Hail 2.jpg

I dont think SPC issues a 0 percent risk. Its "less than 2 percent."

Ive been away from a PC the past 3 days so I had no idea what things looked like so I have nothing of use to add other than I dont think they ever will flat out say 0 [or even 100] percent risk. The highest probs on a PDS watch ive seen were >95%.

Nothing is ever a sure bet in the weather world and the probablities given reflect that.

Thanks for all the replies, especially Rich's - it's always nice to know what was actually happening at SPC after the fact. I'd be the first to admit that I'm nowhere near as good as the forecasters at SPC, my only advantage on this event was my years of following severe weather in this particular area. Personally I would have said a watch was needed, but it wasn't my decision. Good point about the lack of a 2% line not necessarily meaning flat out that no tornadoes are possible, I actually knew this but had forgotten it. Forecasting is an inexact science, and there will always be events that surprise us.

I'm actually kinda glad there were no tornadoes on any of the supercells in CT because I wouldn't have seen them if there were - I spent the afternoon mostly at a friend's house all ready to chase, but ended up dithering between the two possible target cells for too long, and ended up seeing neither one up close. I gotta learn to just commit.

Back