4/27/09 DISC: Western WA

Billy Griffin

I wanted to leave this as both a report and discussion, simply because of my continued frustration with the Seattle NWS office as well as the local media.

So here goes... Initiation of strong thunderstorms occurred today along the plateau (foothills) of the Cascades as a push of marine air interacted with an upper level low sliding down from Canada.

At approximately 4pm, I was near Auburn, WA (along SR 169) when I captured these shots:

_MG_1176.jpg
_MG_1178.jpg

Traveling east out of Auburn, on WA SR 164, I encountered penny to nickel size hail and winds estimated ~ 40+ mph. Let's say, "borderline" severe.
Listened to NOAA Wx Radio - NOTHING !!! Not one word of the storms.
So I make calls into the station I string for, to simply report my observations....... nothing but voicemail. Leave 4 messages, finally gave up.
Encountered several motorists pulled off the sides of the road due to all of the hail, yet no mention on any radio stations nor on weather radio.
Surprisingly, this was not even mentioned when listening to live coverage of the commute (traffic reports).
And please note: this was not an isolated event. A multi-cell cluster / line of storms was occurring according to my radar data, so it was affecting most all of Pierce and King Counties.

_MG_1180.jpg

So I arrive home in time to pick up the kids for after school events. Thunder is rolling in and skies grow dark. Numerous CGs all around.
Still, no mention of any type of weather coverage from the media nor SEA NWS.
Granted... perhaps my weather radio was not working (WIGGLE ROOM?) at the time, but I could receive and audio signal was loud and clear.

Upon leaving the house, yet another storm rolls into the town of Enumclaw, WA. Marginally severe hail, high winds, and lightning associated with this cell also.

And finally, after the events of the evening, and basically giving up on reporting to the NWS or the local media, I encountered THIS upon arriving back in town !!!
TWO FUNNEL CLOUDS AT THE SAME TIME.........

IMG_1186.jpg

What I observed were two, TWO funnel clouds. Albeit, perhaps some would classify these as simple cold air funnels. Indeed, they were short-lived.
And I have no video footage to back it up, as the video camera is in for repairs at the moment. If the photos aren't enough, then so be it.

Here's another shot before the funnel(s) finally weakened:

IMG_1187.jpg

So, all in all, I'm very happy with the convective event which occurred today. SPC had convection forecast in the early Day One outlook.
Local forecasts made absolutely NO mention of convection. Good job, SPC for nailing this one !!!

I am totally convinced that the people up here in Seattle either........ A) just don't care about convective systems; B) have been burned by bogus reports before and do not take public calls anymore; C) do not know how to forecast convective-type weather systems; or D) all of the above.

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm "bashing" the Seattle NWS. I guess I am. My frustration with the lack of reporting or not as much as an issuance of a special weather statement, significant weather advisory, anything !!!
Sure, I'm not in Oklahoma at the moment. But this area is not totally immune to severe weather, and they should know that. At least that's my two cents worth.

I'm happy to have managed to catch another surprise event in an area typically not known as the traditional tornado alley, but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know that one of the days, something really significant could happen up here, and instead of watching the skies, all these people care about is their precious little "marching corporate ants commute reports."

Sorry if I made anyone angry. I'm just 'venting' on my frustration with the local media and NWS. I am thankful for a rewarding chase day and a definite surprise funnel cloud event at the end of the day; one in which the whole family got to enjoy!

Comments and critique are welcome.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
With you on this

At 5:05pm PDT I was approximately 60 miles SSE of your location under the only cell worth mentioning in that area.

Hail, heavy rain, very impressive inflow & albeit mild-rotation.

Not a word, not a mention. Nothing.

I hate to say it - but weather isn't something they want to discuss up here - unless it's "WindStorm 2009" or some other lame moniker they can sell.

I've never seen two funnels at the same time with any storms up this way, or even heard mention of it.

Amazing.

Back