3/16/08-3/17/08 Winter Storm FCST: CO/NE/KS

A classic very late, very wet winter storm is taking shape for the west central High Plains/ Front Range of the Rockies late tonight and through the day tomorrow. A closed low emerging out of the Rockies will deepen significantly as it sluggishly tracks eastward from the Four Corners through northern New Mexico, and in response very deep, moist upslope flow will develop across southwestern NE/northwest KS/northern CO late tonight and persist through tomorrow evening. With strong upward motion and synoptic scale dynamics accompanying this system, it appears that the plains in the Tri-State area (northeast CO/southwest NE/northwest KS) could receive anywhere between 5 and 12 inches of snow and the Front Range foothills and Palmer Divide are looking at storm totals of 8 to 16 inches. While the winds aren't expected to be fierce enough with this system to whip up a High Plains 'Drifter', they will still be strong enough to cause some considerable visibility/blowing/drifting issues.
Travel across this region in the next 36 hours would probably not be the wisest idea in the world.
As for me, I'm hoping and praying that we get a snow day tomorrow. It would be nice to have one final snow day in my elementary education...:)

Back