• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2023-06-21 EVENT: CO, TX, WY

Historic Tornado Event - June 21, 2023

NWS Boulder finally posted their write-up of the June 21 tornado event; goes into the books as the most confirmed tornadoes on a single day within the state of Colorado among other notable records.

36 confirmed tornadoes; over two dozen on the Akron storm alone.

There was a lot of discussion regarding how to count the carousel tornadoes. Many would argue it was a multivortex, but there was a visual lack of a parent circulation during this sequence with these tornadoes spinning up around the edge of the meso. There was question as to whether there was a much larger circulation present, but there was a distinct lack of evidence that this was the case (i.e. no damage along CO-63 among the lack of visual cues).

The larger, multivortex tornado shortly after was more in line with a single, multivortex structure. The funnels/vorticies were more confined, more 'chaotic' appearance, and a constant visual cue in the form of dust/debris. It was a cool discussion to be part of.

I have 18 of them documented, which will go as my final count, despite other tornadoes witnessed while in transit (with no cameras on). Hard to say what I actually saw verses what came down, so I'll go with what I have on camera.

Anywoo; historic tornado event for Colorado; one very few actually witnessed. Certainly the most prolific tornado event I've ever witnessed.

MOD NOTE: Given this technically isn't a chase recap, I opted to create this event thread (also allows for discussion).

Back