2018 almost here....time for camera upgrades.

Which 4K camera do you prefer?

• Sony AX700

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony Ax100

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sony A7s ii

• Panasonic GH5

• Canon XC10

• Sony ax53

• DSLR's (if so, which model)

• Total voters

Caleb Elliott

Enthusiast
Every year, the urge to upgrade equipment or purchase new equipment seems to hit right as companies roll out their new rigs. However, with each passing generational improvement, I am noticing more problems with the CMOS 4k.
Bigger sensors=longer sensor scan times (more noticeable jello/flicker)
4K 60p is only needed if you intend to slow down your footage by 50%
4K looks worse in low light/high ISO noise due to more pixels, causing extra workflow steps in post.

So, the search continues. Below is a list of 4K cameras I am currently considering (based on storm footage that I've seen where a chaser discloses their camera used). Considerations are given to rolling shutter effect, high ISO noise, low light performance, stabilization, price point, etc.

I recently purchased the GH5 w/ 12-60mm f2.8 but sent it back due to the terrible, nearly unusable low light performance (ISO max of 12,800). I've been considering the Sony A7sii but rolling shutter is absolutely terrible and apparently it likes to shut off after 10-20mins of video. Sony ax53 has superb stabilization...but that comes at a cost. Mine got drowned by a wave during Irma in San Juan and is now a paper weight. Also, I have a BMPC4K but due to the rigs cumbersome features, make it impractical. Anyways, I'd like to what are your thoughts, insights, information, experiences with any/all of the cameras below? Let me know.

Every year, the urge to upgrade equipment or purchase new equipment seems to hit right as companies roll out their new rigs. However, with each passing generational improvement, I am noticing more problems with the CMOS 4k.
Bigger sensors=longer sensor scan times (more noticeable jello/flicker)
4K 60p is only needed if you intend to slow down your footage by 50%
4K looks worse in low light/high ISO noise due to more pixels, causing extra workflow steps in post.

So, the search continues. Below is a list of 4K cameras I am currently considering (based on storm footage that I've seen where a chaser discloses their camera used). Considerations are given to rolling shutter effect, high ISO noise, low light performance, stabilization, price point, etc.

I recently purchased the GH5 w/ 12-60mm f2.8 but sent it back due to the terrible, nearly unusable low light performance (ISO max of 12,800). I've been considering the Sony A7sii but rolling shutter is absolutely terrible and apparently it likes to shut off after 10-20mins of video. Sony ax53 has superb stabilization...but that comes at a cost. Mine got drowned by a wave during Irma in San Juan and is now a paper weight. Also, I have a BMPC4K but due to the rigs cumbersome features, make it impractical. Anyways, I'd like to what are your thoughts, insights, information, experiences with any/all of the cameras below? Let me know.

I have owned the A7SII, the A7RII, A6300, A6500 and now the Sony A9.
As you know the A7SII is epic in low light, the A7RII was just ok in low light, but much better with quality of still images. I liked the A7SII due to the smaller file size for time lapse shots, but the 12MP left something to be desired with still images.
The Sony A9 does not comes with SLOG and I think I know why. If the A7RII scored 100 on a low light test the A9 would score at least 95 and probably closer to 98. It is almost as good as the A7RII. I tested them myself and couldn't believe my eyes. The A6500/6300 both would have scored about a 75, and the A7RII a 65 in low light video.
The Sony A9 has the best autofocus I've ever seen on a camera, fast and you can move the camera around quickly and it never loses focus. Italso has dual cards slots and with the new Battery you don't have to worry about changing batteries. This all goes for the new A7R3 as well.
The A7RII dominates for still photos, its detail and Dynamic Range is amazing. The A7R3 is supposed to be at least as good.

Dodge city 2016 I shot with an A6300, 4K video with a good, but not professional lens the 18-105G. I got really good shots by just taking them out of video.

This year Ill be going with the A9, A6500 and I'm still not decided on what to do for a video camera. I'm planning on using the A6500 for that at times, but recording limits and tying up a very good camera with video. Which takes away the flexibility of having a second camera with a different focal length so I don't have to change lenses all the time.

I cannot get enough of the Voigtlander 10/12MM lenses for the full frame on Sony. You can be almost underneath a supercell and capture the entire structure with these lenses. I've been published twice on Nat GEO and been a finalist for the shot of the day and both times it was with the 10MM Voigtlander on a full frame Sony EF mounts. For me its the main advantage over going with a crop sensor. Sometimes its all about that wide angle!

If you like big zoom, I suggest looking at the RX10 M3 or RX10M4. It is a one inch sensor, but its 24-600 full frame equivalent zoom is just out of this world, and it shoots 4K.

One drawback with me for normal camcorders is that I want something closer to 20MM wide angle at least, that is easy to manual focus while it sits in the windshield mount. Most camcorders are 27-29MM, which just isn't always wide enough for me.

Otherwise I would probably go with the Sony AX100, or the new 700. With a DSLR as your video recorder you run into those time limits, which sucks.
I'll be interested to see what you go with, let us know!

I have had the Sony AX100 … It seems to be a great camcorder and I love the stills I can get from it. It does take a while to start up which is a pain when you have a brief typical 2017 tornado. Auto focus is great zoomed out but you want to switch to manual focus if you zone in which can lead to errors in focus with a 4k being so noticeable.

I am thinking about adding a Hero 5 as a rear facing camera next year. Possibly as a dashcam as my current one is only 1080.

Thanks for the replies so far. James, you and Skip are two that I have seen footage and stills from that have my mind set on an ax100. I am kind of leaning towards an ax700 as it shoots 960fps in some pretty noisy looking 1080p....but that would be fun in it 's own.

How is the rolling-shutter on these Sony az100's? I have seen and heard that A7sii has terrible rolling shutter artifacts....

I have about decided on the ax100 as I'm not sure what is gained by the ax700 is worth the money in practical terms. But....still undecided.

other than the 960fps in some meh 1080p res, not much. Still, this large of a sensor has me concerned about the rolling shutter. I'll try and demo one today or tomorrow and see what I think afterwards. For now, the search continues.

Back