2014-06-17 MISC: NE

I was happy to see Mike Marz's report from yesterday's remarkable cyclic tornadic supercell in far northeastern Nebraska, and I hope that other ST members who were on this storm will post their experiences as well. From my armchair chasing perspective last evening, this struck me as an extraordinary event. I believe that the storm was TOR-warned by either OAX or FSD from at least 8 p.m. to nearly 11:30 p.m., and in my ten years of chasing I cannot recall a cell whose radar signature displayed such strong, consistent circulation for so long. The magnitude of this storm was captured well by the SPC's tiny MCD #1048, which noted that rotational velocities on the storm suggested a "high probability...for a violent tornado based on radar alone." I don't think that I've seen such language before. As Mike mentioned in his report, the storm did have some similiarities to last year's Bennington, KS tornado, and some of the video of the bowl-shaped tornado with multiple vortices that occured just after dark reminded me a bit of El Reno's early phase. And on the ground, I simply cannot fathom what it must have been like to be a landowner in the area along a Coleridge-Laurel-Dixon line. Wow.

I don't think that we need another debate here about the meteorological rarity of such a storm, but I would enjoy hearing some views about why this particular cell behaved the way that it did. It appeared to be solidly rooted on the stationary front, and I'm sure that last evening's extreme CAPE values played a major role as well. But I'm less clear on why it wobbled only very, very slowly to the southeast over the course of the evening, and why the storm's mesocyclone persisted for as long as it did.

It probably goes without saying that Monday and Tuesday's events in northeastern NE will likely turn out to be the key events of the 2014 season. I certainly would have traded all of my previous trips this season for just one of these two days!

It's hard to bear missing both these days with them being so close to home. Certainly haven't had any storms this great, this close to home since I started chasing. This one maybe even more so because I had the day off. I hadn't even noticed that there was much anything forecast nearby the day before, but my chase buddy called me up and asked if we should chase so I took a quick look. The 10% probabilities were a bit too far away for me to want to chase though the forecast thread on here did make me more interested. However a friend called me to go swimming and that was that. Coming back from the lake I saw the anvil and began to worry I had made a terrible mistake...

...and indeed I had missed the chase of my dreams. However, I'm not all that intrigued about the dynamics behind that storm; seems like any other long-track tornado to me except that the winds at the different levels were balanced in a way that led to almost 0 net motion.

Back