2012-11-10 REPORTS: NE, KS, OK

This day goes down as most driving/least rewarding day I've had this year, with 20 hours of driving and only a minute of footage to show. Oh well, that's the life this is. I left AMA at 4 AM to prepare myself for possibly driving all the way to Nebraska. I drove to OKC to pick up James Siler and we headed north. I knew the day would have a forced squall line at the end, but I was hoping for a supercell to form ahead of the line. Alas that wasn't the case. By noon we found ourselves sitting in Pratt, KS looking at data, and realizing we were in the better spot. So James and I did some local geocaching to pass the time, and before we knew it by 3pm some stuff started to fire to our west. We drove north into Great Bend where small short lived popcorn showers formed, but nothing stayed alive very long. Then some stuff fired in SW KS down by Meade, and quickly came our direction. As the storm went SVR warned we started our way SW on HWY 56 to intercept. The tail-end charlie had some mid level rotation and when we past Larned, the storm had a very beautiful mesocyclone-like structure. But as the storm went linear the shape fell apart. As darkness fell we just decided to go back to OKC. Not really a bust but not what I had hoped for.

Watch video >

20-11-10 REPORTS KS

Chased storms East of Dodge City Saturday went East with the first line that died near Great bend. Turned back West, as storms were firing South of Dodge That put me in a good spot as they moved NE. West of Kinsley one cell had some rotation, let the storms pass over me near Offerle with 70+ mph winds and small hail here are my pictures. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27494159@N04/sets/72157632006354007/

We started the day off heading to Woodward, Oklahoma for some lunch. We then migrated towards Ft. Supply and awaited storm initiation. When storms fired between Canadian and Shamrock, Texas — we began looking for a place to photograph them coming up towards us — knowing that the tornado threat wasn’t there with the mixed out TDs we instead opted to find a great foreground object to mix in with the storms. We opted for the wind farm near Ft. Supply and set up and let the storm come to us. It was an interesting little storm, slowly growing from a shower to what appeared to be a high based/low topped LP supercell as it moved from our SW to NE. It was cool to watch it’s evolution over the course of an hour or so.

We then retreated back to Woodward for a quick dinner and gas-up then went S of town to the wind farm near Sharon to shoot some more lightning. Some great anvil crawlers! Then we packed it up and headed back to the house. A good November chase day, probably our last of 2012 unfortunately! Bring on 2013!

Watch video >

Back