2012-01-22 FCST: MS/AL/AR/LA/TN/KY

Looks like a nocturnal tornado event shaping up over Dixie Alley. I'm not considering chasing this event given the location and timing, but thought it would be worth starting a forecast thread for those considering taking the plunge or for the local chasers who will be out anyway.

Both the GFS and NAM have been fairly consistent bringing in an impressive negatively tilted trough and ejecting a 90 knot shortwave over the southern states tomorrow evening. Surface temps and dews in the 60's will lead to modest instability, but the NAM has been trending on advecting more moisture and pushing it further north in recent runs. Some pockets of 1000 J/Kg MLCAPE being plotted on the NAM will be more than enough for supercells and tornadoes given the strongly sheared environment and dynamic lift associated with the trough. The GFS is less bullish on the instability, but still brings in ample moisture and pockets of 500 J/Kg MLCAPE. Also interesting is the 0-3km CAPE really surges in the evening and overnight hours as strong moisture advection continues after dark. Coupled with the low level jet ramping up to 50-60 knots, we may have a dangerous combination favoring a nocturnal tornado event.

Storm mode looks like it could be a mix with models showing initiation on a cold front over eastern AR and south by 6pm. Forcing on the front and surface winds that are fairly veered may lead to rather solid, linear line, but the speed and directional shear is more than strong enough to support embedded supercells. As that low level jet and helicity ramps up overnight, the tornado thread will probably increase.

I wouldn't consider this a chase-able event unless you're a gluten for punishment or already live down there and have a few good spotting locations. The fast storm speeds from the very strong mid and upper level flow, the trees and terrain of northern MS and AL, and that this is going to be mainly after dark will make for an extremely difficult if not impossible chase. The only real shot I see at a chase is perhaps catching initiation in eastern AR, where the terrain is flat and treeless and there might still be some light in the sky before the early sunset. The appreciable tornado threat might not come until later, however, so that's going to be a real gamble. However, spotters and chasers will need to be on their toes from early evening to after midnight over MS, AL, TN, and points north.

SPC put out a pretty big 15% hatched tor threat over AR/TN in their new day1. They mention the possiblility of a long tracked tor near memphis. I just took a quikc look at the 4km WRF and it had discrete cells breaking out over AR ahead of the squall line late afternoon. Looks pretty nasty!

Mean 850-300 hPa wind looks parallel to surface front. Storm mode looks to be go quickly linear.

Mean 850-300 hPa wind looks parallel to surface front. Storm mode looks to be go quickly linear.

Yeah, can't help but notice that.

However, the setup still has some factors going for it. 12z NAM run, with the surface low over eastern Kansas at 00z, has surface winds decently backing over the target area. And there's that strong low level jet notorious for feeding a wintertime, nocturnal QLCS in this general region. I would expect to see something fairly linear, but painted with dozens of mesocyclones.

An interesting area looks to be right around Pine Bluff, AR. With 0-3km CAPE indicated at 270 j/kg nearly co-located with a 0.4 VGP, any storm at least somewhat discrete developing in this area would have a good chance to produce a significant tornado. Most recent visible satellite showing some clearing developing over the Arklatex. As the OP stated, probably not a widely chaseable event but it should be interesting to follow on a Sunday in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have to take back what I said earlier. RUC forecast soundings at 03Z look concerning.

Effective shear is increasing to 60+ knots which will help to keep things from going linear.

HRRR has it becoming a loose line until it gets near the Ms river. Then it has the line breaking into individual supercells and newer cells forming all the way down south of Jackson, Ms. Many of these cells make it all the way into Alabama.

If this plays out we may see reports of some massive tornadoes. Cleveland, Ms has 73/65 spread, 1500 MU, 1000 ML, 450 0-1srh, 500 0-3 and winds slightly backing at the surface.

Models have been looking better each run and last night started really painting a nasty picture. Shocked their isn't much talk.

Currently the storm North of El Dorado, Ar is showing strong rotation. I read a report of a cone tornado being produced a little while ago from this storm and it is the first one of the night to really move into the richer instability.

I wanted to chase but hard to go after a night event with 60 mph storms. Will take off if something good develops close to home.

I'm watching this all the way from KCOS, and it's shocking just how quick that squall line formed and is moving in under 2 hrs time.
In an earlier TOR warning text, I noted 70mph to the NE on the northern (of the 2) Pinebluff, AR area cell... That's interstate driving speeds! That line (and maybe cell) should be in the Memphis metro area in ~1-1/2 to 2 hrs if that speed is even approximately true across the whole mess.

EDIT: There is absolutely, positively NO way you'd catch me chasing this event. Too high of a forward speed and too few road options plus limited visibility from terrain and being nocturnal, makes this VERY dangerous from both a resident living in the area and a chaser standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting to see the 0-6 km (and effective) shear vectors are veering ahead of the line as the LLJ redevelops and strengthens, thus promoting a more cellular storm mode even though the dominant mode has become linear over the last few hours. Since almost all of MS/TN/LA/AL are still free of convection to screw up organization, it's conceivable to see development of new storms ahead of the line or a break-up of the line back into individual cells overnight. A nose of 1000+ MUCAPE remains all the way into W TN, so there is reason to believe this event will continue to be a threat for several hours still.

There was some crapvection in the BNA (OHX) area at 23-0Z that might have helped temporarily buck things in that immediate area, but as you said, Jeff, things are pretty much unchanged and thus primed 'till at least early morning.

Back