• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2009-08-19 IL Tornadoes

John Farley

Supporter
Ten years ago today, I intercepted the Manchester, IL tornado. My best storm chase up to that time.

chase81909-4.jpg

This was the early stages of the first of 3 relatively long-track tornadoes that occurred in Illinois that day. This one was on the ground for 18 miles in 3 counties. It went through part of the town of Manchester, causing a fair amount of damage, but fortunately, no injuries.

My full chase report for the day can be seen at:

I remember this. I couldn't chase that day and I kicked myself in the teeth for it. School had just started up. There was an event just a few weeks prior to this (If I recall) that had been warned over in Greene and Macoupin Counties. I could see it from just about anywhere I was in the STL area. I couldn't chase that day either (filling out admissions paperwork at the local college took up most of my day.)

Back