2006: Top 25 Tornado States (Data is preliminary and subject to revision)

Top 25 Tornado States for 2006 (Thru 07-02-06)
Data is preliminary and subject to revision
Source: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/month...al_summary.html
01. 184 Missouri
02. 082 Illinois
03. 068 Texas
04. 056 Kansas
05. 053 Tennessee
06. 043 Alabama
06. 043 Iowa
08. 039 South Carolina
09. 034 Mississippi
10. 029 Georgia

11. 027 Indiana
12. 023 Kentucky
12. 023 North Carolina
14. 020 Nebraska
15. 019 Arkansas
15. 019 Oklahoma
17. 017 Wisconsin
18. 016 South Dakota
19. 015 Florida
19. 015 Virginia
20. 013 Colorado

21. 012 Louisiana
22. 011 North Dakota
23. 010 Michigan
24. 009 Ohio
25. 006 California
25. 006 Minnesota

Remember. the map below is preliminary, and is a rough log. Map does not show every tornado.
example, take Missouri, with 184 reported tornadoes, you do not see 184 dots in Missouri.
2006_annual_map_torn.gif

Mike
http://mgweather.blogspot.com

The tornado in the extreme North East TN area, is a wrong report. I actually followed this storm, and one of my classmates, reported it, who is a completely un-informed weather person, and saw a spiral in the clouds, which lasted for about 1 minutes (I saw it), and reported it as a tornado...however it was exhibiting low level rotation on RAD...but it was NOT a tornado...jsut a brief area of moderate to strong, swirling/rotation in the storms base.

I can't find a report on that far southeastern TN storm, either. Looks like it should be in the Polk county area, but there's nothing in the LSR for the MRX office, unless I'm missing something. Checked NCDC and they don't have anything, either.
Andrew, do you know of anything?

Point maps for tornado reports should always be taken with a grain...there's at least one confirmed tornado in OK that isn't marked.

Woohoo! Go us! (Missouri). Chalk up another year where the Springfield and KC MO WFOs win the tornado counts. That makes 2 of the last 4 years. (2003 and 2006). I think Sedalia MO is the new Moore OK.

I can't wait to tell my grandchildren "there used to be tornadoes in Oklahoma when I was a kid". And they will say "Wow grandpa, that is crazy! It doesn't even rain there in the desert!".

I can't wait to tell my grandchildren "there used to be tornadoes in Oklahoma when I was a kid". And they will say "Wow grandpa, that is crazy! It doesn't even rain there in the desert!".
[/b]

Hard to imagine that might sound strange one day, that there used to be something called Tornado Alley. Looking at that map, the "Alley" appears to be on its way to becoming a Boulevard of Broken Dreams, especially if you're a tour operator.

I was listening to a radio show yesterday, and they were interviewing a senior climatologist with Environment Canada who said that the Inuit people were seeing Robins arrive in Arctic villages for the first time, and polar bears were turning up drowned because of the longer distances between ice floes.

Lots of changes seem to be on the doorstep, and none of them appear to herald good things for the future.

John
VE4 JTH

17. 017 Wisconsin
[/b]

Confirmed count is 9

7. JUNE 18 DANE CO.
BEGINNING TIME 222 PM PATH LENGTH 0.1 MILE
ENDING TIME 222 PM MAX WIDTH 20 YARDS
DURATION BRIEF DEATHS 0
BEGINNING LOCATION 3.4 SW STOUGHTON INJURIES 0
ENDING LOCATION 3.4 SW STOUGHTON F-SCALE F0

Grrrr missed it. MAY have caught the remnant funnel cloud though.

Hard to imagine that might sound strange one day, that there used to be something called Tornado Alley. Looking at that map, the "Alley" appears to be on its way to becoming a Boulevard of Broken Dreams, especially if you're a tour operator.

I was listening to a radio show yesterday, and they were interviewing a senior climatologist with Environment Canada who said that the Inuit people were seeing Robins arrive in Arctic villages for the first time, and polar bears were turning up drowned because of the longer distances between ice floes.

Lots of changes seem to be on the doorstep, and none of them appear to herald good things for the future.

John
VE4 JTH
[/b]
I'm not so sure that it's a disappearance of tornado alley so much as a relocation. For instance, look at the past year in the PAH AOR.

11/6: 25 killed in massive overnight F3 at EVV
11/15: 1 killed, 1 F3, 1 mid F4 (Spoden said that they believe it was stronger than the minimal-F4 rating given in the preliminary survey at a presentation he gave at Fermilab this past April)
3/11: St. Mary F3 skirts into the northern part of the AFO
4/2: Christian/Todd Counties 2 F3s

This pattern can be traced all the way back to the intense Grand Chain F4 of 5/6/03. The state of IL saw a record number of tornadoes on 4/2 (with 25 in ILX alone), there were 25 tornadic fatalities in MEG on 4/2, there was a slightly less significant outbreak on 4/7 across TN, nrn MS, nrn AL, and nrn GA (still killed 11 people), and even back on 11/27 there was prolific tornadic activity in the state of AR during an outbreak with I believe a total of 47 tornadoes. Granted, most of these areas (with the exception perhaps of ern AR and definitely most of IL) aren't prime chasing grounds, but I really don't believe that tornado alley is disappearing.

It is ridiculous to say that tornado alley is moving and/or disapearing based on a few years of data, I would consider it ridiculous to based sunc an assmtion off of even a decade of data let alone a few years, if in 10 years trends continue to show this then I will say you may be on to somthing.

Back