2 killed, 2 critically injured by lightning Thursday near White House

Sorry to hear this news. I feel bad for thinking this, but I can't help but wonder how people that age wouldn't know that you don't stand under a tree during a thunderstorm. On the other hand, assuming there was no building or other available shelter, I guess it's human instinct to seek whatever flimsy shelter there is... After all, avoiding the false shelter of a tree, and consciously choosing to instead stand out in an open field, goes against the instinctual drive for self-preservation...

I'm just a few years younger than the "elderly" couple. I've known not to stand under a tree during a storm for just about as long as I can remember. I don't remember how I heard about it either.

We don’t know the circumstances surrounding the tragic event, perhaps the storm wasn’t electric up to that point and they were just trying to get some cover from the rain. I’ve been caught outdoors during a passing shower and have done the same although I certainly wouldn't do it in a thunderstorm.

I guess it's human instinct to seek whatever flimsy shelter there is... After all, avoiding the false shelter of a tree, and consciously choosing to instead stand out in an open field, goes against the instinctual drive for self-preservation...

…and the instinctual drive to take cover from the elements. I’ll never forget a time I was out fishing with friends when a highly electrified storm came roaring through, we had no time to get back to our lakeside cabin so we opted for the nearest island. Uninhabited and without shelter it offered no protection from the storm but was preferred to being out on the water. The island was mostly rock and bushes with a dense copse of trees near the center, with heavy rains falling and CGs striking nearby it was hard to resist the urge to take cover in the trees versus staying crouched down out in the open. I’ve never felt so helpless and vulnerable, we endured some very close strikes to nearby islands but luckily made it through unscathed.

The DC Metropolitan Police Department received the call about the fatal lightning strike at 6:51 PM EDT; DC Fire and EMS received the call one minute later. A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for DC had been in effect since 6:28 PM EDT. Thus, the atmosphere gave ample warning of the storm.

Back