• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

1977-05-04 Webster Iowa F4 Tornado

Greg Higgins

Supporter
I'm looking for any information regarding this particular storm. From "Significant Tornadoes": May 4, 1977 1832 ok 70y 2m F4 WEBSTER -- This tornado cut a six block-wide swath through a residential and college campus area of NE Fort Dodge. At least 31 homes had F3 or F4 level damage. Fifty were unroofed, and another 200 had lesser damage. $1,000,000.
Looking for information and photos for this incident. Thanks!

Hi Greg. I am writing to you from London, UK. I was 12 years old and lived in Fort Dodge when this tornado hit. We lived too far away from the sirens to hear the warnings and went to our basement after I saw the tornado demolishing the house across the street. This is a picture of my house that was on the front page of the Fort Dodge Messenger on May 5th, 1977. The station wagon in the picture was actually flipped by the tornado and spun like a top (there were circular scratched on the top). I am speaking at my daughter's school in a few weeks about this tornado and am interested in more information about the weather on the day, path of the tornadoes (I think there were 2) and maps of the damage. I wondered if you had any luck finding any information? You might have a look at a http://www.myfortdodge.com. A lot of images have been uploaded showing the damage caused by the May 4th tornado of 1977.
Kind regards,
Sara Robb
upload_2015-3-13_21-9-8.jpeg

I never did find much more than what I had posted. What I did have was from "Significant Tornadoes" and another book that made a casual reference. Good luck on your presentation!

Back