1/29/08 REPORTS: IL/MO/IN/KY/AR/TN

John Farley

Supporter
Yes, really! A chase in January! And a very interesting weather day indeed. I had no real plans to chase today, but did keep up with the weather situation and when, by shortly after noon, it became apparent that severe weather could occur in my immediate area, I decided to head out. With marginal instability (it IS January, after all) but very strong low-level shear and a very strong cold front approaching, SPC had placed much of eastern MO and southern IL under a tornado watch. Scattered storms were developing between the STL area and the front, which was located near Columbia, MO around noon. I decided to check out a storm over northwestern Madison Co., then wait for the main line of storms along the cold front. I caught up with the storm near the Staunton, IL exit on I-55. Though it had heavy rain, it did not appear severe. Briefly, I did notice some rising scud that also looked to have a little rotation looking northeast from the exit, but this feature disappeared after a minute or so. I was somewhat surprised to learn this storm produced 3/4 inch hail near Bunker Hill, as it was never SVR-warned.

I headed back south on route 4 and after shifting south and north a bit, decided to wait for the approaching line of storms just ahead of the front, from a position a couple miles northwest of Marine, IL. The line didn't really look like much more than a band of TCU, with a couple showers imbedded. Indeed, all of the showers and storms I had seen so far did not look very impressive, rather appearing that they were getting torn apart by the intense speed shear before they could really get going. But then, a few miles to my northwest, I noted a tower that surged far higher than any of the others, and suddenly it started to look like a real storm:

chase12908-1.jpg

Very shortly after I took this picture a little before 1:30, the alarm went off on the weather radio, and a SVR warning was issued for this storm, indicated by radar near Carpenter, IL. A minute or so after that, I noticed this:

chase12908-2.jpg

I am not sure whether this was a gustnado, a microburst, or possibly even if the dust was being picked up by an inflow jet - the inflow into the storm was very strong from my location. This dust cloud was probably 2 or 3 miles to my northwest. I am quite sure (but not 100% sure) that it was not created by anything like a vehicle on a gravel road, as the whole thing moved together and I never saw any vehicle. The contrast is as good as it is because there was a small patch of sunlight getting through the clouds just where this was. Over a minute or two, it evolved into a more diffuse and less dense area of blowing dust. But now the storm was losing its character as a distinct cell, as the whole line was filling in. There were no severe reports with this storm, but it did cover the ground with small hail in Worden, IL.

I then dropped south to catch another storm coming up the line. I got down to just east of Troy, IL, but saw nothing of interest. The storm did, however, produce numerous reports of hail around Collinsville.

With the front now very close, the chase was over. Quite an impressive shelf cloud, with strong shear, did form as I crossed the cold front near I-55 and route 143 around 2:30. The front side of the shelf moved north while the rear side moved south. However, there was no precipitation associated with this at my location, but it did look like there was some rain behind it well to my south. Indeed, pretty soon another storm did develop right along the front one county to my south. As I went to get a late lunch around 3:00, I began to get some precipitation from the back side of this storm, in the form of a mixture of rain and big, wet, slushy snowflakes - almost like soft hail, basically big slushballs. Just then a SVR was issued for this storm for St. Clair and Monroe Counties, and it did indeed did produce up to golfball hail in those areas and maybe even a brief tornado near Okawville. During the chase, I had noted temperatures as high as 70, but by now it had fallen all the way down to around 40 now, a little after 3:00.

EDIT - By 8:00 p.m., the temperature in Edwardsville had fallen further to 15. The official 8:00 p.m. temperature in STL, 16, was down 57 degrees from the record high of 73 a little more than 7 hours earlier. We don't get temperature drops that extreme around here very often!

During the next hour after 3:00 p.m., we got sleet mixed with freezing rain, then snow. Not too many days when I have seen both storms like I saw today and snow like this:

chase12908-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this is from the north end in Minnesota.

I went out today to chase the Frozen Tropical Storm... Blizzard in South Eastern Minnesota. First they get hit with the floods last fall and now a Blizzard.

Interstate 35 was shut down so I could not get past the Owatonna MN area. But I could go east on Highway 14 towards Rochester MN. Highway 14 was a total white out!!!

Below are some photos from Dodge County on Highway 14. Wow, that was Fn Cold. At one point I'm outside with -10F and winds gusting well over 40 MPH. Wind Chill was no longer a factor, it was just insane cold.

The first photo is of a State Trooper on Interstate 35. He said it was cool for me to get video and photos just as long as I parked in front of him for safety.

DSC_0999_012908_bliz.jpg

Here is a flag I could barely see along Highway 14. This was pretty crazy with the winds.
DSC_1031_012908_bliz.jpg

The following were just east of Dodge Center in Dodge County, MN.
DSC_1044_012908_bliz.jpg

DSC_1045_012908_bliz.jpg

Watched the squall develop this afternoon in eastern Illinois from here in Muncie and waited for it to move east. I was pretty excited to see that the NWS was issuing warnings for this thing 2-3 counties in advance of this line. I wasn't really hoping for much, just maybe some strong winds. As the Line moved past Kokomo Indiana it weakened a bit and by that time I had myself positioned on a county road about 10 or 12 miles west of Muncie. The line then weakened and split kinda as it approached me and i was stuck in the middle of nothing really.

Heres the best shot I got as the lightning illuminated the shelf to the right side of the image (facing southwest)

2863734200089407043S600x600Q85.jpg

EDIT: it is now 18 degrees here in Muncie and snowing. what a turnaround!

I also went out in central Illinois today. I didn't have plans to head out but after seeing some clearing was occurring and we were getting some surface instability I decided to head out anyway. Went after the severe storm that produced a funnel cloud near Springfield and intercepted it east of Lincoln.

Not much to write about. The area I was in didn't get a ton of heating so there was little to no instability so even with the insane shear things weren't holding together. I finally got a view of an elongated storm base which quickly became predominantly outflow near Lodge. The storms were going nowhere, so I let the overtake me and wound up with some pea sized hail and weak winds.

Most interesting part was after the storm passed, I was taking photos of the back side of the convection moving on, when suddenly lightning activity picked up a lot. Not used to seeing such cloud to ground lightning activity on the backside of the storms, especially in mushy January convection like that.

In the time that the storm overtook me, to me finally leaving the place that I had pulled over on the side of the road the temperature dropped 15 degrees. I recently just went back out to film some of the blowing snow we're having here with the 50-60 mph winds. Temperature is down to 9 here.

Not a chase that's likely to make the 2008 DVD anytime soon, but fun enough to say that I've now chased TWICE in January this year. And not just piddly stuff either... already my second chase under a tornado watch intercepting at least one severe or tornado warned thunderstorm.

The storms came to me here in Louisville, Ky last night at around 8pm. The storm went in and out of the metro area in 4 minuites! I observed many power flashes and some siding or gutter that was wrapped up in a few trees and poles. I now have power after losing it 12 hours ago while the temps dropped to 18F!! I will try and get some damage pics.

What a weird January in Illinois. Tornadoes, single digit temperatures, snow…tornadoes, single digit temperatures….
I managed to cut out of work at 3:30PM CDT and head west from Carbondale, IL to intercept the storm heading northeast from Missouri. The temperature was 65 degrees F at that time. This photo is the storm heading in from the west near Carbondale, IL.
index.cfm

Just west of Murphysboro, IL I encountered very strong winds, enough to rock my jeep as I sat there. Shortly after that I encountered hail for about 5 minutes. The largest was about dime size. In Randolph Co just to my north, a man was struck and injured by a large piece of hail.
At about the 4:15, the NWS put out a TOR Warning for a cell moving out of Cape Girardeau Co, MO into Union County, IL. I headed south from my location toward Anna, IL. These storms were moving very fast (up to 70mph) so I was only able to catch the tail end of this storm, but I did see what looked like a possible wall cloud. There was a lot of movement visible, but not much rotation. Short after I took this photo, the temperature was down to 450 F.
index.cfm

The storm remained SEV Warned for some time and did cause some wind damage in Saline Co, IL. According to the sheriff, who is a freind of mine, a trailer was rolled onto a major North/South route through Harrisburg, IL. They though that it was straightline winds, but this was just west of the area in Indiana were there were 2 fatalities from an apparent EF2.
Not a bad chase for January in Southern Illinois! It was 15 degrees when I got up this morning and we are supposed to get 4-8â€￾ of snow here Thursday and Friday…and the cycle will start over again.

Attachments

• UnionHillRd2c.JPG
    UnionHillRd2c.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Makanda2d.JPG
    Makanda2d.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 71
Tornado fatality

I saw where they have now posted 2 deaths from a EF 2 last night in Posey County Indiana. Any one in the area at that time? It was a mobile home that involved the deaths.

Back