1/17/11 REPORTS: FL

Mediocre results here but since the tornado-warned storm was within range for what I thought would be a possible intercept, and there was some rotation on GR3 before I set out, I gave it a shot. Ended up getting the following picture when I stopped at Jetty Park in the Cape Canaveral area at 12:42 PM of what might be the diminished wall cloud (or a scud cluster that was the next closest thing) that produced the tornado report to the West in Orange Countyat 12:13 (16:13 UTC)
--
1613 6 W PORT SAINT JOHN ORANGE FL 2848 8089 OBSERVER REPORTED ROTATING FUNNEL WITH DEBRIS CLOUD NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF FAY BLVD AND I-95.

approximate radar image showing my vehicle position also attached, though rotation had already diminished, and I didn't discern any visually.

update: just added a somewhat later radar pic that shows meso-marker returned as storm moves further out over ocean.Picture 7.jpg

possiblewallcloudNorthofJettyPark1-17-11.jpgradarofJettyParklocation1-17-11tornadowarning.jpg

This was a day with almost no CAPE at all but as you can see, there was ample helicity:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/mlb/adas/helicity31.gif

Update: here's a wider view of possible wall cloud (with scud)
widerviewpossiblewallcloud.jpg

update: SPC corrected the tornado report from Orange to read "Brevard":

1613 4 W PORT SAINT JOHN BREVARD FL 2848 8085 OBSERVER REPORTED ROTATING FUNNEL WITH DEBRIS CLOUD WEST OF THE INTERSECTION OF FAY BLVD AND I-95. THIS IS A CORRECTION TO THE LOCATION OF THE PREVIOUS STORM REPORT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back