09/06/2009 Reports: Enumclaw, WA Tornado!

Billy Griffin

I will post photos and video links to my webpage soon.

This was an incredible day of storm chasing here in the great Pacific Northwest! An EF-1 / EF-2 tornado caused a damage swath about 10 miles from the Lake Tapps area to near Black Diamond, WA.

Surprising to some, this is already tornado #3 for me captured up here near Seattle. And have only lived here 'full time' for 14 months!

Finally, a lot of folks are coming around to realize that severe weather is not THAT rare in this area. It's actually more common than one would think.
The severity is far less significant than the Midwest, but frequency is not as rare as most would think.
A significant convergence zone / topographical influence (Olympic and Cascade Mountains ~ flat lands 'plateau' of eastern King, Pierce and Snohomish counties) aids in the development of low-level shear, and cold core systems are actually very common here.

Here is a link to the PIS from the SEA NWS...
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=sew&pil=PNS&sid=SEW&version=0

Photos and video links coming soon.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the delay, but had to deliver video and photos to the Seattle NWS for confirmation and study of this event.

Photos now:

Enumclaw 1.jpg

This was the first funnel that formed, north of the town of Buckley, WA.

Back