Reckless Driving?

Around here they only place you see people doing 100 is the interstate, where there are plenty of state police, so I would think they could just radio ahead to the next state trooper
That would more than likely be the case. But for this discussion particularly. I think policing our own, on here, would be the best bet. Chaser complaints will only lead to chasers being targets of enforcement.

I get what you are saying regarding the common traffic violations, but I don't think the extreme dangerous driving that would normally justify a call to law enforcement (eg the person weaving at 100 mph) should not be reported to LE just because it is a chaser, that would imply that chasers condone this type of driving

One thing I noticed from chasing this year is that a lot of the older storm chasers drive much more carefully than the younger chasers. It seemed like it was the college students that were passing me at 20+ mph over the speed limit. As there will always be an influx of young chasers in their 20s who think they're invincible, I don't think this problem will ever go away.

Plus with how really good radar apps are available on phones now, it's really easy to jump into your car with nothing but your cell phone and go chase storms. So the barrier to entry has really gone down in recent years. That means a lot more inexperienced storm chasers who are really excited to see their first tornado, and are probably willing to do anything, even drive dangerously, to see it.

I tend to be extra cautious while driving because I understand that most storm chaser deaths are from driving accidents, not storms. And also because I have my kids with me, and I feel the need to be extra cautious to protect them. Plus, just the fact that I'm getting older means I'm driving a lot more carefully these days.

All of that said, I feel like the people on this forum overall are getting older as many of us have been here for many years, and the younger kids choose to post on TikTok rather than discuss weather in a forum like this. I've also noticed that the number of people posting on this forum has dropped considerably over the past 10 years. I hope we're not becoming a group of old farts that just sits around complaining about everything!

I don't think that is the case, reckless driving is something that should be criticized, I'm in my early 20s and don't like reckless drivers either

I get what you are saying regarding the common traffic violations, but I don't think the extreme dangerous driving that would normally justify a call to law enforcement (eg the person weaving at 100 mph) should not be reported to LE just because it is a chaser, that would imply that chasers condone this type of driving
Oh yes, completely understand and agree. I’m not saying don’t call in on a chaser if it’s bad. All I’m saying what’s good for goose is good for the gander. Law enforcement start getting a ton of chaser complaints, it will trickle down to more strict enforcement on all chasers. It’s that way with everything. That’s how law enforcement works. The more complaints about speeding through a neighborhood that are received, the more presence you get. Next thing you know. The original complainant for the speeders is getting a ticket for speeding two months later… On complete accident. And the officer WILL NOT have as much leniency because of the number of complaints. Im simply suggesting confronting a member here publicly and get it squashed, square, and handled. But hey by all means, I’m not saying don’t call in. If you feel it necessary then rock out. Im just saying what I would do, I’m a pretty neutral guy until it’s time not to be

I'll be the first to admit that I will fly, but only on uncongested main roadways and not in what would be called "rush hour" type traffic. My chase truck is marked, and I have many lights on it as it is used for my position as paid on call emergency management, but it is my personal vehicle and also set up for storm chasing. Only use the lights if I am stationary well off the roadway to let others know that I am there, or like after the Belvedere Illinois tornado last year when the sheriff department asked for my assistance with blocking the main roadway leading into the "hot" zone as we call it and also assisting with SAR. I will NOT flip on the lights to intimidate people into getting out of the way, that alone can cause a nasty accident and is quite illegal and can lead to not only traffic violations but also a criminal complaint especially since I am authorized to have the emergency lighting. Only time I use the lights when moving is when asked to by an agency to assist with damage and or traffic control, or I will strictly use my amber light bar when towing my boat trailer since idiots in the Chicago metro area do not seem to know how to drive around a vehicle towing a heavy trailer, my boat and trailer weighs roughly 15,000 pounds, hence why I have a Silverado 3500hd diesel.

Back