**JEFF WEAR**

Stormtrack is accepting donations for Jeff's family.

Paypal: [email protected]

A certain amount (in the $50 to $100 range) will be used to send flowers to the family on behalf of the Stormtrack community. Any funds above and beyond that will be sent as a check weekly or monthly to his parents to help them cover expenses.

Tim

My sincerest sympathies to Jeff's family. I did not know Jeff personally, but as a fellow chaser and member of the OU community, I am shocked and saddened to learn of his death. I am just about Jeff's age, and the thought of having my life cut short at this stage is extremely sobering.

I was involved in a (much less severe) hydroplaning accident earlier this year, and would like to re-emphasize the dangers associated with driving too fast on wet roads. Those few seconds between the realization that I had no control over my vehicle and striking the other vehicle were some of the most frightening of my life. I hope no other chaser ever has to have that experience.

I didn't want this post to turn into a PSA, but Jeff's tragedy should make us all think more carefully about our speed on wet roads. In that way, hopefully, some good can come out of this terrible loss.

Peace, Jeff.

Is there a non-paypal way to contribute? I don't have that capability.

BTW, thanks for doing this. It will allow everyone to be able to "do something" that will both help the family and hopefully give themselves an emotional boost. The worst feeling associated with something like this is the feeling of helplessness and not being able to do anything.

George -- for credit cards you can use my business site at:
http://www.weathergraphics.com/makepayment.htm
and put very clearly that it's for Jeff Wear, though I prefer people use Paypal. If it's a check, you could just send it directly to the family (contact me via PM for an address).

Anyway for further questions just contact me via PM or start a separate thread, as I hate to taint this thread with money discussions.

Tim

Now that I have seen a picture, I know now that David Croan and I met and spoke to Jeff at a chaser picnic at Rocky's. It was a great conversation from the word go and do recall he came from CA. This is certainly tragic news. My thoughts go to the family.

Jimmy

I never knew Jeff, but along with many other UK chasers (who do not use this forum) we would express our sincere sympathy to his family and friends.

It is a sad day in the chase community.

RIP Jeff and many a thought will be spared for you on my next chase.

Mark (and UK chase community)

I didn't get a chance to meet Jeff but it sounds like he was a great guy. I'm sadden by the loss of anyone with a passion for weather and storm chasing. Condolences to all of Jeff's friends and family.

Wow, what incredibly sad news. I just got in from out of town and am just catching up. Jeff Wear is a well known name in chasing. He will surely be missed by all of us. What a tragedy.

I feel like I have just been hit with a CG from out of nowhere!

I never even met Jeff, but he was a regular here and losing a chaser to such an unfortunate cause is always deeply saddening.

R.I.P. Jeff...may be there an endless supply of supercells and no existance of SDS up there!

What a downer. I didnt personally know Jeff but we will miss his posts and presence in our community. We are all mortals as this shows. Each of us know the dangers of our sport/hobby and see it now tragically firsthand. I am deeply sadened as i know most others are in the chasing community. My condolences.

RIP - Jeff Wear.

I must echo everyone's thoughts...my deepest condolences to Jeff's family and close friends on this terrible loss. I can't say I knew him personally, but I've seen his insightful posts here and his unique sense of humor always made for interesting reading.

It clearly illustrates that we can't take any moment for granted. Being storm chasers, we have the privilege to witness the awesome displays of Mother Nature. It reminds us to appreciate each moment, from the mundane to the spectacular.

Is anyone compiling a list of these posts? I think Jeff's family and friends would very much appreciate the wonderful things that have been said about him here.

Wow, this is a huge shock. As I was reading this earlier, I saw some amazing lightning out of my window, I knew he would have loved it. You know how tight the chasing is when even though I never met him personally, I feel a great loss, I can't even imagine how his family is feeling. My prayers go out to Jeff and his family :cry:

My prayers are with Jeff’s family during this hard time. This is a tremendous loss for not only the family, but to his friends and fellow storm chasers. The storm chase community is much like being a firefighter or police officer; we’re part of a brother/sisterhood and one big family. When something like this happens to a fellow storm chaser, a brother to us, it has a tremendous affect on us all.

I’m saddened that I never had the chance to meet Jeff, I have read his posts and I believe I even exchanged emails with him in the past. I think what David and Tim are doing is awesome, it’s a great way to pay tribute to a fallen chaser and to keep his spirit and memories alive.

Jeff, brother… rest in peace. And for the rest of us, as we roam the plains in 2006 and finding ourselves face to face with mother natures most violent fury… Jeff with be right there with each and every one of us enjoying the beauty that mother nature has offered us.

Wow.

I'm deeply saddened and shaken over this. For some reason, I couldn't sleep past 1 AM last night, and decided to check my email. It is when Nick Grillo posted the tragic news on WX-CHASE, and immediately came over to the ST forum to read more about it. I haven't slept since then.

I've visited Jeff's website a couple of years ago, and I noted based on his writing that he was really passionate about the weather. I've only met him once or twice, as he was a regular attendee at the CO chasers convention, he was very quiet and independent! I enjoyed his posts, and certainly his humor, and mostly his passion for convection. I laughed when he showed "The attack of the birds" at the convention a few years back.

Storm chasers are a small group that share a passion that's sometimes difficult for others to understand. When one is driven by passion, the results are astounding. Jeff Wear certainly fits this guide as he wanted to make a life-long career studying the atmosphere, and...like the rest of us...wanted to be "out there". His white car and his "COPUNCH" license plate were always under the great storms.

My sincere condolences to Jeff's family and friends on this tragic loss. As one can tell by this incredible thread, he will be deeply missed!

Regards,
Tim Samaras

I never got to meet Jeff but he is considered family , as we all are here.Sharing a common passion and devotion towards the magical mystery of Mother Nature.

I did get a kick out of personally getting to see the famous "COPUNCH" tag, as he passed by me east of Pawhuska this year.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

This one song has been going through my head all day, and, after changing the words a bit, I thought this would be a good tribute to him:

"In truths that he learned, or in times that he cried, in the storms that he chased, or the way that he died.

"Its time now, to sing out, though the story never ends, let's celebrate, remember the life of our friend! Remember his love!"

I never got to meet Jeff in person, but I am saddened by this tragic news. It is a reminder that life is very precious and we should enjoy every minute of it till the very end. You never when your day will come. Being storm chasers, we take quite a few risks and are considered very lucky to be here today. Unforunately this kind of thing can happen even when you are just going out to get some milk.

Jeff you will be missed. Right now I have thunderstorms popping up all around... each one of those will be dedicated to you. Please forward my condolences to Jeff's family, from the Canadian chaser community.

Kindest and sincerest regards,
Laura

I remember reading Jeff's posts and from what I have seen from other people's comments and from Jeff's website he was a great storm chaser. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

I am totally shocked by this news. While I didn't know Jeff personally I have seen his posts and his website and have enjoyed his forecasts, his sense of humor and his passion for severe weather. My utmost condolensces go to his family.

-Scott Olson

I am shocked and deeply saddened by this terrible news. I didn't know Jeff personally, but I'd seen his posts. My condolences go out to his family.

It's a tragedy like this that makes a chaser ponder over all those times he/she's driven over wet roads over the years. A couple others have already pointed out that probably every one of us has hydroplained at one time or another on the way to, during, or on the way home from a chase, and are greatful when we end up unharmed.

It is a tragedy that this happened to such a passionate storm chaser...

Man, this is really sad news. My deepest thoughts go with his family and friends. I didn't actually know Jeff but anyone who has a passion for chasing storms certainly knows his name at the very least. The one thing I can honestly say (from reading his posts and visiting his site throughout the years) is that he always seemed to choose the high road on just about every issue and keep a positive, and often humorous, attitude. It's very sad that he passed on so early in life but he left behind only good things and there is no doubt that he will forever be remembered as a good person who brought happiness, love and friendship to many people.

His best chase season has only just begun...

Sincerely,
Fabian Guerra

Back