effects on the big D

Re: Dallas

I'm in north Dallas and hoping Rita comes closer to us than they're saying. We need the rain, and I'm a repressed storm chaser and would honestly love to see at least 1 good storm after such a boring spring! I'm ganna have to go with Rita intensifying over night but weakening a bit during the day tomorrow as she gets closer to land. I'm also going to have to "predict" a sharp west turn after landfall so she can come visit me in Dallas... plus I want my statistics class to be cancelled on Saturday :) And everything is big in Dallas, we can handle a ton more refugees, so BRING 'EM ON! :D

Originally posted by Guest
In regards to lines for gas in Dallas, I live in Dallas, and that appears to be a bit off the mark. There are no lines at any gas stations I have come across.
What a difference a few hours make. As of 6pm, once everybody got off of work, gas was up 30 cents and the pumps were at least 3 cars deep.

exactly, here in Bedford most of the gas stations were overflowing!

on a side note I hope the storm makes a westward jog into me, I need some storm lubbin

Originally posted by Carrie Halliday

I sure hope you are not serious. Not only do we have locals who HAVE to evacuate, we have Katrina evacuees (still hundreds of thousands in the area) who see Armageddon coming AGAIN and are fleeing. They are sending those from Beaumont and vicinity up 45 too now.
Next time Dallas takes a natural disaster hit, remember this. How would you like it you had to flee to Houston and got this reception?
:roll:

Um yeah, totally serious. My advice is everyone shouldn't have the same destination, that's why theyve been stuck in a traffic for more than 10 hours without moving a single mile. If i were in houston i might have gone west or south. Reunion arena is completely full, so are the hotels. So at this point they're having to tell people to move along unless they wanna sleep on the street or can find some type of shelter. There are plenty of cities throughout texas, our population surged after Katrina as many became permanent residents. I just wouldn't want to have been stuck in standstill traffic, some of them are still out there and the congestion has gotten WORSE. If everyone makes it up here i have no idea where they're gonna stay.

Gas statiosn here btw are closing their pumps, some of them i'm not sure if it's due to actually running out of gas or the fear of it so they're not selling. Some gas stations aren't busy while others have the cars lining up. Everyone is topping off their tank for fear of gas prices going to $5 :shock:

My advice is to go to St. Francis, KS...they've got lodging and a great ice cream shop along the highway. No traffic jams either...hopefully.

Originally posted by girltx983+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(girltx983)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Carrie Halliday

I sure hope you are not serious. Not only do we have locals who HAVE to evacuate, we have Katrina evacuees (still hundreds of thousands in the area) who see Armageddon coming AGAIN and are fleeing. They are sending those from Beaumont and vicinity up 45 too now.
Next time Dallas takes a natural disaster hit, remember this. How would you like it you had to flee to Houston and got this reception?

Um yeah, totally serious. My advice is everyone shouldn't have the same destination, that's why theyve been stuck in a traffic for more than 10 hours without moving a single mile. If i were in houston i might have gone west or south. Reunion arena is completely full, so are the hotels. So at this point they're having to tell people to move along unless they wanna sleep on the street or can find some type of shelter. There are plenty of cities throughout texas, our population surged after Katrina as many became permanent residents. I just wouldn't want to have been stuck in standstill traffic, some of them are still out there and the congestion has gotten WORSE. If everyone makes it up here i have no idea where they're gonna stay.

Gas statiosn here btw are closing their pumps, some of them i'm not sure if it's due to actually running out of gas or the fear of it so they're not selling. Some gas stations aren't busy while others have the cars lining up. Everyone is topping off their tank for fear of gas prices going to $5 :shock:[/b]

Evacuate south from Houston??? Most of those areas are under some type of tropical watch, warnings and don't have near the hotel room capacity DFW does. Many people from Houston did go to Austin/San Antonio, but most felt DFW was the best place to be out of harms way.

Anyway, I went to get gas this evening in Arlington and the pumps shut off, I went inside and the clerk said we are temporarily closing down. She mumbled something about the computers being down. Odd! Went elsewhere and the lines were getting pretty deep. David Finfrock channel 5/NBC is still calling for several inches in the area and winds 25-35 mph.

I'd have to agree... if I were in Houston I'd go southwest to Victoria and down to Corpus or even Brownsville/Padre... there's a ton of lodging down in those resort hotels. Hard to do it with a hurricane just offshore, but it's one of those gambles.

A situation that might have developed in Dallas, did up here in Tyler. The Red Cross was looking to shut down those shelters that had served Kat evacuees, to give those facilities back to the churches. Other Rita shelters were opening in other locations.

On Wednesday, the Red Cross here was rushing to get the remaining Katrina folks in the few remaining hotel rooms as they were filling up with early birds. Long story short, those who were thinking there were still empty hotel rooms will likely be disappointed in any location where there are ARC shelters, no matter where.

i hope this is not too much off the subject at hand. i'm not sure of the details but it looks like ritas first victims were in dallas. 24 evacuees killed in a bus explosion. :cry: what happened?! witnesses say fire balls were shooting from the bus in every direction. lets pray for the families of these unfortunate people.

Gas statiosn here btw are closing their pumps, some of them i'm not sure if it's due to actually running out of gas or the fear of it so they're not selling. Some gas stations aren't busy while others have the cars lining up. Everyone is topping off their tank for fear of gas prices going to $5 :shock:

Many people had NO choice but to go north to Dallas, that is where they were TOLD to go. That is just what the OEM plans are here. Most cities all along 45N and in E Texas are full of Katrina evacuees. Even up in Austin and San Antonio they are full with NO folks. Don't blame those flowing up there, they are only doing what they are told.

Back