Can someone explain this historic track?

Bobbi Andrzejek

I hope this is on topic enough ...

I was looking at historical hurricane tracks and I found this image. Note the hurricane track labeled "1900" that ends in the ocean east of Canada. If you backtrack that one, you can see where it weakens to a TS, goes to a TD, then back to a TS and then to a Cat 1 over land. How can it reintensify into a hurricane again while over land? I don't get it.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/track...0518_climo.html

(I would have just pasted in the graphic, but I couldn't figure out how to do it ...)

I've seen this happen once before, or it's just the same as yours. I'm not really sure why, it happens, but I think, of course, the conditions would HAVE to be extremely right, to cause this. I assume this phenomenon is pretty rare.

My hunch is that it was actually a very strong extratropical low over land with hurricane-force winds. This isn't unheard of during the winter months, but that's not exactly "hurricane" season either.

EDIT: http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlant...1900/index.html ... Click on "tracking information" for the first hurricane on that list... As can be seen, the storm was indeed a very strong extratropical cyclone during that time. The winds were supposedly hurricane force (65kt) however.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Jeff, are you stating that a Hurricane can develop in the 'Off Seasons'?

Tropical cyclones can occur outside of the typical "hurricane season". There have been tropical systems that occurred between December 1st and May 31st ("off-season"), including Otto last year. What I was saying in my post above, however, is that the very strong extratropical systems that can develop across the eastern 1/2 of the US typically occur in the winter months, which is not hurricane season.

I was assuming they could occur whenever, but I was just questioning, as to if that was what you were really saying. Just like tornadoes, they can occur whenever. :lol:

Back