Looting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like every network has shown people carrying new shoes. That ain't a bad idea. I'd say it rates up there pretty close to water in this situation.

Almost every shot I see of looters though, I can't make out what is in the box/bag/cart they are carrying.

Well...I guess if you are going to loot, do it with style:

69.jpg

I have heard reports about gangs in NO roamming around with AK-47s lootted from some gun shops??? CNN and Fox both said something about this. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

I think all the major news networks have reported this. Its scary, not only because chances are looters have guns, but it implies people have given up trying to rely on the authorities, and are starting to take matters into their own hands.

Rob

Rob,

This is so much like what's happened before in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Africa (and a former sister city, briefly, to New Orleans in the late 80s).

In the last days of the Mobute Sese Seko reign (a long time African so called "big man" ruler there) he was getting rich while on the streets it was "every Congolese for themself". People would steal big electronic items and take them to huts with no electricity.

Can you even buy Ak-47's? Thought automatic rifles were against the law. Not saying they aren't out there, just not in gun shops.

WWL-TV is now reporting that the mayor of NO has declared Martial Law. Now, techinically its probably not Martial Law but it looks and smells like it.

Edit: Sorry, just to add something else. I kept hearing that a Wal-Mart was looted and all the automatic weapons were taken. You really think Wal-Mart sells automatic weapons?

I have a few comments to make.

#1. Today, on the radio, i heard a guy call in the station, saying he was from New Orleans and was African American. He said that he wants to appologize to the general public for the way his race is acting during this time of crisis. He also mentioned that EVERYONE, including store owners who are being stolen from, are all in the same situation. (i agree with this last statement 100%)

#2.
Children's Hospital under seige
Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

They are simply doing this, I am positive, to get there f**king drug fixes... During the past days, all their stashes have been flooded or used up, they need some more heavy meds to keep them happy.

#3. These people are the lowest of scum... killing innocent people (INCLUDING POLICE OFFICERS)... When the authorities see people looting a building, they need to get the National Guard there to get in a line around the building, take out their M-18s, and just open fire in the building! Let all those suckers get a taste of their medicine.

This whole situation is just pissin me off and enlightening me even further how so many humans are complete bastards. :(

Can you even buy Ak-47's? Thought automatic rifles were against the law. Not saying they aren't out there, just not in gun shops.

WWL-TV is now reporting that the mayor of NO has declared Martial Law. Now, techinically its probably not Martial Law but it looks and smells like it.

Edit: Sorry, just to add something else. I kept hearing that a Wal-Mart was looted and all the automatic weapons were taken. You really think Wal-Mart sells automatic weapons?

Well some gun dealers can sell full-auto stuff but most likely they are the sem-auto kind. I just saw that on the news MSNBC all 1500 cops are back in to stop the looting.

CNN's website has footage about the armed looting.

Pentagon officials said Wednesday the governors of Louisiana and Mississippi have ordered the mobilization of an additional 10,000 National Guard troops to provide security and help with hurricane relief.

The latest deployment will double the number of National Guard troops deployed to the area. The troops are expected to arrive in the next two days and will be split evenly between the two states, the officials said.

Well, I can honestly say that if I were stuck there right now, I would want to be armed too.

All the looting is pretty pointless, really. Those people won't be allowed to stay in New Orleans. And they won't be allowed to bring their plasma TV with them to wherever they are being evacuated to. If and when the looters ever get back to their homes, that stuff won't be there anymore.

I guess it keeps the kids off the streets. :lol:

LOL! I made that same point on wx-chase earlier today. That's the truth of it, they're too stupid apparently to know this.

Well, I can honestly say that if I were stuck there right now, I would want to be armed too.

All the looting is pretty pointless, really. Those people won't be allowed to stay in New Orleans. And they won't be allowed to bring their plasma TV with them to wherever they are being evacuated to. If and when the looters ever get back to their homes, that stuff won't be there anymore.

I guess it keeps the kids off the streets. :lol:

LOL! I made that same point on wx-chase earlier today. That's the truth of it, they're too stupid apparently to know this.

Maybe part of the looting of TVs, etc., is people planning for possible future bartering. Doubtful this will happen, but I suppose if I was on the ground in a situation like that (apparent complete chaos, no authority), I might want to get some high-end items to barter away for food. Not saying that its a wise or smart move (its really dumb), but chances are many of the people down there have no idea things are going to be gone out for so long.

I have a few comments to make.

#1. Today, on the radio, i heard a guy call in the station, saying he was from New Orleans and was African American. He said that he wants to appologize to the general public for the way his race is acting during this time of crisis. He also mentioned that EVERYONE, including store owners who are being stolen from, are all in the same situation. (i agree with this last statement 100%)(

I have one problem w/this. Why should this black man have to call in and apologize for something other blacks are doing. He shouldn't have to feel the need to IMO. Whites get upset when others call on some of them to apologize for the racist actions of the past. I mean when Clinton did this some people were hot. If whites don't feel it's fair to be blammed for the sins of their fathers then who do you think a black person feels not only about this but other issues of being lumped into a category when people(s) act wrong. One black man goes crazy in Atl courthouse and we're all looked on with an evil eye. Kobe accused of raping a girl and we're all look at again w/an evil eye as white fathers want to protect their daughters from us eveil black pigs. Make no sense and is BS. Wish more people in this "Christian" nation would judge on character not color. Hate the looters b/c they're looters, not b/c they're black looters as I have the feeling most on the boards, and probably throughout the U.S. (especially in middle america, the south) are doing.

I do agree w/this last statement as they're all in the same boot but hey, human nature. Gurantee you if this situation were happening in Asia, Russia that there'd be mass looting too. I mean last time I checked not many blacks in Asia, Russa but crime is laden in those POOR areas as well. Druggies wanting a fix, robberies, sex trade. Poverty is the key. Of course no secret high % of blacks are poor but I won't get into discussion on that. I've already thrown enough flame on the fire.

On MSNBC, Congressman Bobby Jindal has been saying that armed looters have been shooting at rescue helicopters.

I think it is time to send in a couple armed gunships.

My sense is that the nature of lawlessness in New Orleans changed today. Initially, when looters were clearing out shops with food and water, or the occasional television or pair of shoes, authorities looked the other way. There was nowhere to put prisoners and no point in risking the lives of police officers who might find themselves outmanned and outgunned. I also happen to believe that officials know the city of New Orleans is finished, at least in the short term and perhaps longer, and it doesn't really matter what happens to all these goods in the larger picture. What I mean to say is that in a city about to be abandoned for long, long time, there's no point in urban gunfire to save a big-screen plasma TV.

Today, however, with armed gangs roaming the streets, the nature of the problem is public safety. Most of the people in the city are not looters. Many are in real trouble, in a weakened physical condition, frightened and unsheltered. They are easy prey for these evil bastards terrorizing the city center.

The contest for power becomes a question of which warlord presents the most force. I think Mayor Nagin's decision to impose martial law is the right choice. Yes it's unconstitutional. It violates every tenet of American justice and our standards of due process. At the same time, Nagin has a sacred obligation to protect those who cannot protect themselves. It is the most basic, foundational reason for organized government. NOPD should do whatever necessary to restore order. If we lose a few armed terrorists without a trial, no big loss.

I'm starting to hear reports from family members in Baton Rouge that looting is becoming a problem there. The people that have been evacuated out of NO have been arriving at Baton Rouge and dropped off at shelters. As soon as they arrive they leave and go to the nearest store that they think they can loot. In Jackson several stores where looted last night and local law enforcement has warned that it could get bad tonight. I have been able to buy a generator, window unit, 8 five gallon gas cans, two weeks worth of food and plenty to drink so I am set for at least a week. Hopefully things will get under control quickly.

do agree w/this last statement as they're all in the same boot but hey, human nature. Gurantee you if this situation were happening in Asia, Russia that there'd be mass looting too. I mean last time I checked not many blacks in Asia, Russa but crime is laden in those POOR areas as well. Druggies wanting a fix, robberies, sex trade. Poverty is the key. Of course no secret high % of blacks are poor but I won't get into discussion on that. I've already thrown enough flame on the fire.

I live in Baton Rouge and most here are saying this is what happens in disaster. people only have problems mostly with the TV's and such like that. we love the city of NO most of us and go there often and our friends and family are there. Most here realize that there are many, many poor people there (here as well) and that is just what happens, besides alot of these poeple are probably going nuts (don't mean that in a bad way). There is alot of lawlessness there right now and unfortunatly the worse comes out in some people. Of course NO has a very high rate of crime in the best of times.

On MSNBC, Congressman Bobby Jindal has been saying that armed looters have been shooting at rescue helicopters

I heard that today and many here are saying perhaps these people should just be left, cruel I know but why are you gonna shoot at rescue people.

On MSNBC, Congressman Bobby Jindal has been saying that armed looters have been shooting at rescue helicopters.

I think it is time to send in a couple armed gunships.

I was just listening to the New Orleans police scanner, and one of the folks on their mentioned that he was covering the helicopter approach. He said it had to be covered full time.

I'm starting to hear reports from family members in Baton Rouge that looting is becoming a problem there. The people that have been evacuated out of NO have been arriving at Baton Rouge and dropped off at shelters. As soon as they arrive they leave and go to the nearest

Sorry ya'll I keep forgetting to write my name. Anyway.......I live in Br and have not yet heard of looting but there are people everywhere. People turned away b/c shelters are full, people that don't wanna be in a shelter and some here are getting worried. Every store you go to just about has people everywhere just hanging out ect. People worry b/c NO (though we have crime ourselves) has one of the highest murder rates in the country and many of those people are coming here. In addition they are desperate people.

In addition to all this it took my hubby about 2 hours to come home from work and then when he got home he had to go miles away to find gas to work the rest of the week. he was very tense when he got home and told me I am not to walk to the store any longer for awhile and not to go anywhere alone. Don't know what prompted him to say that. BUT let's not forget about all the good people. The majority of the people are good but the bad stick out.

Amazing!...I was just watching MSNBC and the reporter and cam was in a Walmart store showing and interviewing looters including two female police officers! They were pushing a loaded cart around. When the reporter asked what they were doing one of them said they were looking for looters. The reporter said looks like you found them - they are all around.

Pretty unbelievable.

More about police looting here:

http://tinyurl.com/dbg8a

From that story:

Unfathomably, some New Orleans police officers and fire fighters, as well as harbor police joined a crazed mob in looting the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street. As some police officers were carting off flat screen TVs, their co-workers stood by and watched the crowd plunder the store.

I have to admit, I didn't see anything so bad about looting at first. After all, this city is going to be underwater for a while and everything is going to be worthless after it rots in the water. But I'm changing my mind about looting now that I see what a mess it can be.

I have seen lots of video of looters carrying stolen goods. They walk by the camera like there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Aside from one guy covering his face, I haven't seen anyone show any signs of shame for what they are doing. I hope that the few people that get arrested for looting get prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. These people obviously have no sense of community. They only care about themselves.
I am having a hard time believing that the reports of looters shooting at rescue helicopters could be true. I don't think anyone is capable of that level of evil. If it is true and it continues, anyone caught doing it should be shot on the spot IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back