• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Your First Tornado

I think this has been discussed in the past, but I thought it would be interesting to see that answers again. Where did you see your first ever tornado?

My first tornado was Mulvane, KS on June 12, 2004. Many remember this day quite well and it's one I will never forget as well. I saw a total of 4 tornadoes this day, including the Rock, KS tornado from several miles away as the sun was going down.

My first legitimate one was on May 1, 2008 near Hominy, OK. The pictures came out slightly less than terrible. Although, the images are burned into my brain forever. :D

I started slowly getting into chasing in 1998. I saw a few dirt whirls with some being gustnadoes and maybe 1 or 2 being legitimate weak tornadoes, but my first real tornado was Oct 9th, 2001 near Cordell, OK. The actual tornado I saw was not the one that hit Cordell that day. I was a little further east. Also a big plus...I met SPC forecaster Rich Thompson while viewing the tornado which was pretty cool.

That night I got a media pass to go into Cordell and document the damage. The east side of town had very heavy damage. It was the first time I had seen tornado damage in person, and that was the point where I really began my respect for the power of tornadoes.

I'll never forget my first! On April 20, 2004, not even expecting to chase that day, I turned in a philosophy assignment and ran north up 57 out of Champaign, IL. Just south of Kankakee a stacked plates LP came into view and minutes later a tornado dropped.

chase08.JPG

Here's a similar thread from almost 6 years ago:
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=572

It'll be interesting to compare those stories to the new ones, as I'm sure a lot of people have bagged their first since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
19870620_F1_1.jpg

June 20, 1987 Littleton, CO - this funnel formed over my apartment and I ran out to the parking lot and got this shot of it.

This was not a tornado, but my first significant funnel cloud.
It was May, 1967 and I stood in my back yard in a suburb of Pittsburgh PA.
All afternoon, the sky had an eerie yellowish tinge with purplish clouds in it.
Finally, a tongue-like funnel passed just north of my home, nearly overhead.
I could see scud puffs rotating around it, and the top of the funnel disappeared into a hole within the overcast above.
The funnel dissipated, unwinding like a watch spring uncurling itself.
It was truly amazing.
I lived in very hilly terrain, and some acquaintences told me that they saw this same funnel just a bit earlier off to the west, coming very close to the ground.

I don't remember the date, but I remember the cirumstances. Maybe someone on here will remember the date!

I was 9 or 10, so the year must've been around 1989-90. The family was staying in a motel on the west edge of Phillipsburg, Kansas. Shortly before leaving the motel for dinner, I was outside admiring the storms. At that age, I was singularly obsessed with tornados, hehe.

I couldn't see the base of the storm to the west (northwest) of town from the parking lot, so I took a stroll down to a better vantage point. What I saw was a brown elephant trunk tornado, perfectly visible (no rain obscuring it).

I had no camera at that age, so I have no evidence...just the vivid memories.

The first tornado for which I have photographic evidence was the infamous Almena, Kansas tornado of June 3, 1999. Not only did I get some great photos of that storm, I have proof I was there in the form of someone else's photos. Yeah, I was a little enthralled that a DOW showed up to the storm I managed to intercept. They didn't want to talk, and I understand that, now.

Ninth photo from the top, the DOW photo, I'm the red-headed kid in the purple shirt. LOL
http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june3chasephotos.html

I neglected to mention in my earlier post, for those who are not familiar with the 1966 Topeka tornado event, that it was an f5 that tore right through the middle of town, and killed 17 people, injuring 500. It was the costliest tornado in U.S. history up to that time, estimated at $100 million in damage.

On Aug 9, 2000 I saw a brief landspout with no condensation just north of where I live, and alas, never had the chance to grab pictures. Now, my first "real" tornado would be the June 5, 2006 storm in South Dakota. It still is one of my fave chases to date. Here's a video capture.

20060605_Tornado5.jpg

My first tornado was June 8, 1974 in Tulsa as an F3 passed less than a mile from our house. We lived in a horseshoe shaped valley, so I could only see the wall cloud and top of the tornado, but there was plenty of debris in the air as it was passing through a subdivision. My first chase tornado was March 28, 1988 as Troy Knight and I witnessed a small, brief tornado along the flanking line of a tornadic supercell passing through southern OKC.

About 1973 a waterspout on Cheney Lake (west of Wichita Kansas) that took the lives of 3 boaters was my first.
The 2004 Mulvane tornado was the first I actually got pictures of.

August of 1996, right here in Michigan. I knew just enough about wind shear to recognize it as I looked at the clouds. An hour or two later, shortly before closing, I spotted a wall cloud forming outside the southwest window of my work place. I took off early, chased it for maybe fifty miles, and watched it drop a beautiful, slim tube that lasted for maybe a minute out in the open farm country of central Michigan. The storm was a classic supercell, beautifully structured.

On the way back, I encountered another supercell with a nice flying saucer meso. It was as good a day for structure as I've ever seen here in Michigan. If only I'd had a camera! But I do have some great memories.

I started slowly getting into chasing in 1998. I saw a few dirt whirls with some being gustnadoes and maybe 1 or 2 being legitimate weak tornadoes, but my first real tornado was Oct 9th, 2001 near Cordell, OK. The actual tornado I saw was not the one that hit Cordell that day. I was a little further east. Also a big plus...I met SPC forecaster Rich Thompson while viewing the tornado which was pretty cool.

That night I got a media pass to go into Cordell and document the damage. The east side of town had very heavy damage. It was the first time I had seen tornado damage in person, and that was the point where I really began my respect for the power of tornadoes.

Oct. 9, 2001 was the scariest night of my entire life. I was accually not in town when it happened. I was in Canton, OK playing football for Cordell JHS. At halftime, the coach pulled all of us into the locker room and informed us that Cordell had been hit. There was still no word of where the track was, how strong it was, if there were any injuries, etc., just that the school had been hit. All we could do is hope and pray that everyone was safe.

On the way home, we had a portable radio that we all listened to. There were reports starting to come in that over 200 homes and businesses had been destroyed and more than 50 people were still missing. This was not information that helped us feel any better. There were multiple attempts to contact family members but, all phones were out. Not even cell phones were working.

As we arrived home we were all relieved to find all of our parents waiting at the field house to pick us up. My parents accually took a direct hit as they took shelter in my grandmothers celler. When all was said and done more than 150 homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed, 6 people had been seriously injured but thankfully, no one was killed. This in itself was a miracle given this monster F3 had traveled across the entire town from SW to NE.

Although I had already been interested in weather, this event pushed me over the edge to learn as much as I could about tornadoes and drove me to begin chasing. I was too young at the time but, in 2005 when I got my liscense, I began to intercept storms that came to me. This was not a very productive way to chase and led me to really no success.

Finally, in Feb 2007 I worked up the nerve to contact Gene Thieszen who is also a local chaser. With he and his chase partner, Walt Gish's help, I was able to go on my first "real" chase on Mar. 23, 2007. On this chase, I saw my first tornado near Tatum, NM. I can't even describe the feeling when you see your first tornado on your first chase. It trully was one of the most awe inspiring moments of my life.

-Eric

Attachments

• Tatum 2 VidCap.jpg
    Tatum 2 VidCap.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 146
My first tornado occurred on December 5, 1975 in Tulsa, OK. I was in the eight grade that school year and, ironically enough, it was in my science class that I glanced out the window and noticed a great deal of towering cumulus present. That seemed really odd to me for early December. When I got home, I grabbed my transistor radio & headed outside. In less than an hour, a tornado warning had been issued for Tulsa county. I ran upstairs and, from my bedroom window, could see a off-white colored condensation funnel several miles to my northeast. Considering the time of day, this tornado was visible to thousands of people. In spite of that, I know of only a few photos and two films taken of the event. Fortunately, there were no fatalities but I believe around 35 people were injured. This was back in the day when warnings were often not issued until after a tornado was well under way. There is a short movie on YouTube of the event that's the only surviving documentation on movie film that I'm aware of that still exists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-dJvoLUL8

My first tornado occurred on December 5, 1975 in Tulsa, OK. I was in the eight grade that school year and, ironically enough, it was in my science class that I glanced out the window and noticed a great deal of towering cumulus present. That seemed really odd to me for early December. When I got home, I grabbed my transistor radio & headed outside. In less than an hour, a tornado warning had been issued for Tulsa county. I ran upstairs and, from my bedroom window, could see a off-white colored condensation funnel several miles to my northeast. Considering the time of day, this tornado was visible to thousands of people. In spite of that, I know of only a few photos and two films taken of the event. Fortunately, there were no fatalities but I believe around 35 people were injured. This was back in the day when warnings were often not issued until after a tornado was well under way. There is a short movie on YouTube of the event that's the only surviving documentation on movie film that I'm aware of that still exists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-dJvoLUL8

Good story Jeff...I saw that as well, but had to sneak out in my jammies to see it! I had strep throat and was under strict orders to stay inside, but when I saw the neighbors standing in their driveway pointing to the northeast, coupled with the live radio reports, I knew what they were looking at..I ran out to see the rope stage. We were quite far away (near 61st & Sheridan ), but it was highly visible.

Rob

Sunnyvale CA 1998

Yeah, California. Few know that CA gets tornadoes. No; I didn't take the picture. But this is what I saw from my home in Cupertino CA. I was outside and was watching it all unfold. The parent cloud was an awesome sight; we don't get supercells here very often. Neat thing about this tornado, is that it was clockwise rotating. Rare enough for us to get a tornado on the coast too, they usually happen in the Central Valley each year. But it was my first.

Attachments

• 043548.jpg
    043548.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 464
First tornado: evening of April 25, 2009, Enid, Oklahoma...by far the most hair-raising chase of my rookie season. One of these days, I'll actually get around to writing a summary for that day.

My first tornado experience was on Saturday, April 24, 1993 when a devastating tornado developed in east Tulsa and hit the suburb of Catoosa, OK. I was only 12 years old when this happened. I was with my mom that day and the wall cloud went directly over us while the tornado sirens blasted. Little did I know, my future chase partner and best friend, Justin Teague was just a couple of blocks away watching the same thing. That night I was glued to the TV watching the news break from Catoosa. I was so enraptured by how the sky appeared that day I decided that I had to see it again. Tornadoes almost became an overnight obsession for me. I began reading every book I could find on tornadoes and studied as much as I could about weather.

The first tornado I actually saw was on May 26, 1997 (my second storm chase) on HWY 75 and HWY 16 near Beggs, OK. Little did I know, future chase partner Dave Crowley was sitting there with about a dozen or so other chasers watching the tornado just to our east.

Van Wert Ohio - F4 tornado - Nov 10, 2002 - a slight risk afternoon here in Ohio - totally unanticipated . I hastily and un prepared chased it from several miles to the south east - I took a lot of pictures but found out later that there wasn't any film in my camera and did not have a functioning camcorder either - learned a lesson - be prepared and don't discount 5% risk days !

Some videos shot by others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0bZnKKGoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2cuZIaQx0

My firest tornado was an F1 that occured near Seiling, Oklahoma on the night of May 5, 2002. We had an unsuccsful chase in the TX Panhandle and were heading back to El Reno. We intercepted a storm near Seiling, and saw a brief F1 tornado lit up by lightning. It was on the ground less than a couple minutes, but destroyed a mobile home.

May 24, 1989 in Story county Iowa one mile East of Interstate 35 on county blacktop E 29. It was a weak short lived tornado lasting two minutes. The next tornado (my second) from this supercell was an F4 with a 20 mile path. Six days later on May 30, 1989 I observed my second F4 tornado in Hardin County Iowa.

Still a tornado Virgin here. Said but true. Closest thing I have seen is a sweet rotating wall cloud and several funnels with a confirmed tornado that touch down outside of Manhattan in 1993 but since I never saw it on the ground I can say I have seen a Tornado. Did not even see the one that rolled through town 2 years ago. Saw the power flashes but I refuse to chase at night as I don't want my first one to be my last one. Hoping to see a tornado this season out in an open grassland doing no damage.

Back