• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Stormlapse compilation 2014

I'm pretty new to time lapse (as in, prior to last year, I'd only ever tried to shoot one once), so I spent a lot of last year waiting around with tripods clicking away in the background. I've finally got them all into one video (and yes, that's a "cheater" shot from Rozel -- I needed something dramatic to go with the music beat drop and was out of good footage!):

All of these were shot with either a Canon 20D or a Canon 50D. Most of them are RAW images processed in Lightroom and then merged together in Premiere. One of the videos is actually just the 6D's video camera sped up... you can tell because it's the shot that looks like crap. Lesson learned there!

Also learning just how crazy OCD you have to be about dust spots. Dust spots on still images, no big deal -- dust spots on timelapse, OH NOES!

Nice work! You are right about the dust spots, ugh. Thank goodness for the healing brush in raw. :)

Does anyone know of any voodoo one can do to a moving image with a dust spot in it to remove the dust spot? I never see any dust spots in pro videos shot on 5d bodies, so either those videographers are crazy obsessive about cleaning the sensor or they have some post processing technique I haven't found yet.

Adobe Lightroom lets you heal the dust spots in one image, and then apply the same healing to all other open pictures. It's a life saver.

Great compilation, Ryan. I love the Sunshine OST!

Also learning just how crazy OCD you have to be about dust spots. Dust spots on still images, no big deal -- dust spots on timelapse, OH NOES![/QUOTE]

Nice work.

Regarding the dust spots...do you know Mike Olbinski out of Arizona? He might offer some help on clearing those spots in post.

I will have to try the Lightroom trick - honestly I assumed that would not work because then you'd have a circular spot on the video (where the healing brush is) that constantly seemed to look blended or processed.

In Bridge you can use the healing brush on the RAW image. You then copy and paste those settings to all of the images and choose "spot healing". However, you are right that you will at times notice a healed spot that looks out of place. I try to choose the source for the brush right next to the spot so that it mostly looks nature.

Hey, Ryan, first off, great stormlapse!

About those dust spots: OCD! I shoot white cards at f/16 and focus to infinity and clean any sensor dust before every chase. Also, I shoot all my stormlapse footage at f/5.6 and that turns any dust spots into fuzzy dark spots instead of hard edged dark spots, much easier to fix in post.

In post, I usually spot heal at 20% opacity or so and then use the adjustment brush to lighten the dark spot a bit. You'll never get rid of those dust spots completely, but this method make them much less noticeable.

Hope that helps.

Back