NWS Confirms 4 Tornadoes Touched Down In Middle Tennessee

Here is video of one of the tornadoes reported in Middle Tennessee yesterday evening. This was shot I assume by a member of the Wilson County EMA outside of the Wilson County Fairground near Lebanon.

So far the NWS office in Nashville has confirmed 4 tornadoes, all of them rated an EF0. The full story can be found on WSMV's website which includes a few damage photos from the tornadoes.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/29467334/reported-tornadoes-leave-behind-damage-in-wilson-co

Adam -- or anyone else -- where was the OFB described in the Public Info Statement?

Adam -- or anyone else -- where was the OFB described in the Public Info Statement?

Your guess is as good as mine David, I wasn't even paying attention to the situation at the time until I saw a FB post from a friend of mine about a tornado warning popping up on her TV.

I didn't see any OFB wording in any of the SPCs wording on their MD. Maybe the local NWS site at BNA had it in heir Expert Forecast Discussion or Hazardous Weather Outlook?

This one: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=OHX

.OVERVIEW...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS MOVE ACROSS MIDDLE TENNESSEE
AND INTERACTED WITH AN OUTFLOW BOUNDARY PRODUCING 5 WEAK
TORNADOES IN WILSON AND FAR EASTERN DAVIDSON COUNTIES. DAMAGE WAS
MINOR WITH MOSTLY TREES DOWNED AND ROOF DAMAGE TO SEVERAL HOMES.

I am trying to find out exactly where the OFB set up, where it came from, and what we can learn from it.

These EF-0s arrived in a "less than 2%" area with no then-current MD from SPC.

Ah, gotcha now. This was from the survey done by that office after the event. Forget those are called P.I. Statements. Must have been earlier convection? (they did mention a stationary front in the MD but that was issued 35 minutes or so after the first tube touched down). There should be Level 2 radar archives somewhere that would show that boundry, in addition to GOES Sat imagery. @Skip Talbot is a whiz at getting a hold of all that data off the web.

Last edited:
I went looking for the aforementioned OFB. This day still bugs me. 5 tornado tracks on a non-tornado day.

The 5 EF0 tornadoes that are the subject of this thread occurred close to, then S-then-SE of OHX, beginning at 2215z.

From 18z to 19z, storms moved E to ESE into Middle TN. One cell was being driven by a SW wind, against the main flow. See the red circle.

28e13b77c034173dfad6b0f25dd5aaa3.jpg

From 19z to 20z, as convection builds to the WNW of Nashville, a few storms form and fade in the metro area. As they do, I think we see our OFB pushed by a SW wind. Actually two of them (black arrows), running in an ENE direction, crossing the ESE movement (white arrows) of the cells to the NW on the way:

6385bc6e1fc2a3464bb0c0c93be31a76.jpg

Interestingly (to me at least), occurring at 2035z near Wartrace TN (45 nm S of the radar site), a weakly rotating cell briefly dropped a discernable g2g on BV (weak on SRV, therefore shown below), CC 74.2% and negative ZDR in one bin only, but all within 20 dbz, so outside of TVS parameters. The g2g presentation was more dramatic a few scans prior, showing an almost 60 MPH wind being ingested by the storm. This storm was rotating.

92b0a0b5db0fa5d14bac75533343f15e.jpg

Anyway, back to the area in question. Evidence of the SW flow is seen here at 2059z, stepping right in front of the soon-to-produce tornadic storm:

7f2429c9e47c3af136b0c6e2258b25d0.jpg

At 2215z, it arrives, dropping its first tornado very close to OHX itself:

0820556255d404174e0194bc9dff5f6e.jpg

And off we went.

I'm interested to hear from those of you smarter than me on this. Thanks.

Back