• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Common Tornado Myths

• Thread starter Jeremy Den Hartog
  • Start date

Jeremy Den Hartog

About 6 months ago, my Wife and I moved to Lincoln, NE from Mankato, MN. To my surprise, it seems many people here in Lincoln are oblivious or in denial to the fact that a tornado will one day probably hit the city - its just a matter of when. What I found particularly interesting was that the same myths that people believe here in Lincoln are the same as what I would hear in Mankato, MN despite the obvious increase of tornadic activity in this part of the country as opposed to southern MN.

The most common myths I hear In Lincoln (and for the most part also heard in Mankato):
- Lincoln will never be hit because its in a valley. This one baffled me. In a valley?? Where is this "valley"?? It is what people believe here though as I have heard several people say it. At least in Mankato, it really was in a "valley" - not that it matters though as that won't stop a tornado.
- Lincoln is a bigger city, tornadoes don't hit bigger cities. Obviously this isn't true - how quickly people forget.
- Storms always split and go around the City. I'm sure this does happen sometimes...but I wouldn't count on it.

I have also heard people saying negative things when I'm out chasing and stop to get fuel. Several times I have heard a person complaining about the tornado warning that was issued and that weather people are idiots despite the fact a tornado had just passed near their area.

I realize it's not directly my responsibility, but I'm not sure what we can do to try to better inform people of the risk. I don't chase to "save lives" but it is a bit terrifying to hear people sometimes. I, along with a local TV Meteorologist have tried to hold a seminar in the past to try to help better educate people. Unfortunately the interest really isn't there for the most part. The only way people seem to learn is when they are actually hit by a tornado. My biggest fear, since I work in a group home with adults who have disabilities, are that people won't take the warnings seriously when they are caring for some of these individuals (in fact I know they often don't as these are mostly the people who told me the myths I referenced above).

I'm assuming these myths are fairly common throughout the Country. As chasers, what do you guys do when you hear these things? Personally I usually "try" to inform but in most cases it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe someone out there has had better success though - or at least has other common myths they hear...

Jeremy, I can understand your concern about the group home where you work, having worked in two residential facilities myself back in my early to mid thirties, before I started chasing. You may be in a good position to make an impact. Two possibilities come to mind:
  1. Does your group home conduct inservices for employees? If so, talk to management about your doing one on severe weather. Now is the perfect time. Express to management your concern that old wives' tales can compromise the safety of residents and staff, and cite examples of how those myths have been tragically disproved: Large cities have been struck by devastating tornadoes, some multiple times (e.g., Huntsville and Birmingham, AL; Louisville, KY; Dallas, TX; St. Louis, MO; Chicago, IL; Nashville, TN; and let's not forget the obvious: OKC). Towns that supposedly were protected by terrain (hills, valleys, rivers) have been devastated (Topeka is a classic example). And so on. Then, if you get a green light on the inservice, address the myths head-on together with the realities of severe storm forecasting and warning. People do need to develop some respect for weather forecasting professionals, and it can begin by their getting an understanding of how hard it sometimes is to nail jello to the wall.
  2. Does your employer have a newsletter? Write an article addressing the myths and realities of tornadoes and why it is critically important to take watches and warnings seriously.
Realistically, there are always going to be plenty of people who will prefer their own ignorance over the knowledge of people who actually know something. But you may be able to take at least some incremental steps in educating your fellow employees. And if you reach just a few of them, that can make a difference.

Good luck, Jeremy.

Here are a few more:

- Chasing tornadoes is more dangerous than skiing or whitewater rafting.
- The condensation funnel has to be all the way to the ground for it to be called a tornado.
- Tornadoes can't happen in location/state/terrain x (already mentioned).
- Tornadoes are the most dangerous type of weather phenomenon.

Sitting west of Greensburg on May 4-2007, we decided we wanted some food and beverage and went back into town. Not wanting the usual "chaser food" we opted for something different.... a small "trailer" parked in the gas station parking lot offered barbeque and we decided this was a go.This little trailer was owned by an older man AKA the "Barbeque Man", a funny man full of spit and p*** who ultimately believed that the city of Greensburg had never been hit (directly) and would not be in the future because "storms always go around the city...they split before the get to us". Of course we tried to tell him of the possibility of severe weather later that evening and "informed" him that these types of myths are not accurate. When we left, we all wished each other well and he even gave is some free BBQ and encouraged us to come visit him the following day.

After the Greensburg tragedy, we tried to locate the BBQ man but he was no where to be found.....it was later learned that his trailer was found in the lake roughly a mile north of town but no sign of him. Fearing the worst, there was simply nothing we could really do. Roughly 2 months went by before we actually made contact with him again. We ran onto him while we were doing a show for TruTV. His story was simply amazing and pure luck at the same time. Turns out the guy left his trailer in town for the evening and left about 9PM for home (he lived east of town about 6 miles)

As we sat and talked of that days events, he quoted what we had said and actually said that he wished he had listed. Keeping in contact with him to this day, he now always listens to the weather and no longer believes in "half of those old stories that the old timers taught him".

My point is, sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do to make people listen.....sometimes they just have to experience situations before they accept. Sounds harsh I know, but I learned many very valuable lessons that evening - including this one.

When there are people that believe we faked landing on the moon and took out the twin towers ourselves on 9-11, you sometimes have to just smile and wish people a good day. My ex wife believed there was a special kind of lightening called "heat lightening" that only came on warm humid nights. She believed this because grandma told her it was so. When a storm passed one night and you couldn't see the lightening bolts anymore and only the flashes, I looked at her and said "look honey, that regular lightening turned into heat lightening as soon as it got by us". Instead of realizing the truth, she just got mad that I didn't believe grandma. Some people just won't believe anything that contradictes anything said by someone they think they can trust. Just try your best and move on.

Sounds like more of an old person problem than anything. The minds of older people are pretty concrete...little to nothing will change their minds.

While we're mentioning tornado myths:
-You can't outrun a tornado in a car
-Tornadoes don't hit native American burial grounds

Try living next to Lake Michigan and one of the largest downtowns in the entire nation. Complacency is as high as it gets around here and the ones I constantly hear are.

"Lake Michigan protects us"

"The skyscrapers prevent tornadoes."

Like most myths, there is a small amount of fact that spawns them. I always explain why and how these myths came to be, and then cite some examples that debunk them. I use Sept 22nd 2006 as my main example, that day a tornadic supercell tracked across NE IL, produced a funnel cloud over O'hare airport, but waited till it got to the Loyola University campus on the north side of Chicago before touching down literally on the shore of Lake Michigan before moving out over the water. Being able to cite a real example and show the video seems to get the message across well, but at that point I feel thats all I can do. In the end people will believe what they want.

These were common in east Texas.

- Those sirens go off when a cricket farts. (heard from multiple sources)
- Its very rare for tornadoes to come south of the Red River.
- You are safer in your home than you are in your car...

Valley locations would increase the chance of a tornado. Here in New York I'm convinced that around Albany area the tornadoes and thunderstorms are more intense due to Albany being only 42 feet above sea level where the surrounding lands are into the thousands of feet.

About 6 months ago, my Wife and I moved to Lincoln, NE from Mankato, MN. To my surprise, it seems many people here in Lincoln are oblivious or in denial to the fact that a tornado will one day probably hit the city - its just a matter of when. What I found particularly interesting was that the same myths that people believe here in Lincoln are the same as what I would hear in Mankato, MN despite the obvious increase of tornadic activity in this part of the country as opposed to southern MN.

The most common myths I hear In Lincoln (and for the most part also heard in Mankato):
- Lincoln will never be hit because its in a valley. This one baffled me. In a valley?? Where is this "valley"?? It is what people believe here though as I have heard several people say it. At least in Mankato, it really was in a "valley" - not that it matters though as that won't stop a tornado.
- Lincoln is a bigger city, tornadoes don't hit bigger cities. Obviously this isn't true - how quickly people forget.
- Storms always split and go around the City. I'm sure this does happen sometimes...but I wouldn't count on it.

I have also heard people saying negative things when I'm out chasing and stop to get fuel. Several times I have heard a person complaining about the tornado warning that was issued and that weather people are idiots despite the fact a tornado had just passed near their area.

I realize it's not directly my responsibility, but I'm not sure what we can do to try to better inform people of the risk. I don't chase to "save lives" but it is a bit terrifying to hear people sometimes. I, along with a local TV Meteorologist have tried to hold a seminar in the past to try to help better educate people. Unfortunately the interest really isn't there for the most part. The only way people seem to learn is when they are actually hit by a tornado. My biggest fear, since I work in a group home with adults who have disabilities, are that people won't take the warnings seriously when they are caring for some of these individuals (in fact I know they often don't as these are mostly the people who told me the myths I referenced above).

I'm assuming these myths are fairly common throughout the Country. As chasers, what do you guys do when you hear these things? Personally I usually "try" to inform but in most cases it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe someone out there has had better success though - or at least has other common myths they hear...

I think that chasing thunderstorm winds is more dangerous than tornadoes, esp in the east with more trees. Anyone know of deaths from falling trees from st8 line winds while chasing?

Here are a few more:

- Chasing tornadoes is more dangerous than skiing or whitewater rafting.
- The condensation funnel has to be all the way to the ground for it to be called a tornado.
- Tornadoes can't happen in location/state/terrain x (already mentioned).
- Tornadoes are the most dangerous type of weather phenomenon.

Ok maybe its not a complete myth, but it definitely doesnt apply all across the board.

Thomas Schimdlin from Kent State University did a study which seems to indicate that taking shelter in cars is preferred if the only other option is a mobile home. So yeah, that might not apply across the board...or at least for mobile homes anyway. I'd imagine that doesn't really come as a shock to anyone here though.

He also did a study to see what kind of winds are needed to upset certain vehicles. I think it was this study that lead the NWS to revise it's advice slightly regarding tornado safety when in a car. They used to recommend abandoning the vehicle for a nearby depressed/ditch area. They now recommend a second option of actually staying in vehicle depending on which you feel may be safer your specific situation.

How about "Taking shelter underneath a highway overpass can protect you."

Last edited:
Sounds like more of an old person problem than anything. The minds of older people are pretty concrete...little to nothing will change their minds.

While we're mentioning tornado myths:
-You can't outrun a tornado in a car
-Tornadoes don't hit native American burial grounds

YEAH it's pretty easy to outrun some tornadoes. It doesn't seem too uncommon for a tornado to move less than 30 mph and if you are near a highway that isn't congested not many tornadoes are going more than 60 mph.

Valley locations would increase the chance of a tornado. Here in New York I'm convinced that around Albany area the tornadoes and thunderstorms are more intense due to Albany being only 42 feet above sea level where the surrounding lands are into the thousands of feet.

I doubt valleys have much to do with tornado genesis....

Growing up in my hometown, Mineral Wells, Texas; the saying moved around through us in school days -" If a tornado ever hits Mineral Wells it will be horrible because once it gets into the valley it will never be able to get out!". The downtown and older neighborhoods are between two forested mesas we call mountains. Apocalypto.

My favorite of myth of all around here is:

"Tornadoes can't cross the river."

I live near Des Moines, IA, which is at the confluence of TWO rivers. It's unbelievable how many people in this area believe Des Moines is safe from a tornado because of the rivers. Ironically, I first heard this myth from my mother in 1974, an hour or so before a tornado hit the town of Ankeny, 10 miles North of Des Moines.

I was 11 at the time, but in retrospect I wish I had thought to point out that even if a tornado wouldn't cross a river, it could still do a lot of damage before it reached the river.

- "Tornado Alley" is just the Great Plains region.

ustornadotrackst.jpg

Anyone from Michigan should know these 3:
1. We don't get big tornadoes in Michigan.
2. Lake Michigan will kill any storms that cross it.
3. The water will protect us, with a respect to storms changing course near the lakes or dying.

Usually when I'm speaking with a myth believer, I can shut the conversation down with the phrase "I can think of at least 8 examples of why that's not true." They tend to not want to hear more and change the subject. Again, concrete minds.

Personally, I think it's fascinating that virtually every area of the country has their own local insignificant geographical feature that "protects" their town (and only their town, usually). It reminds me of how early civilizations all had their own similar elemental gods. Despite zero global travel, they all believed largely the same thing.

Back