ZELLO APP FOR STORM CHASING

Oct 31, 2013
Eastern TX Panhandle
Was just wondering if anyone uses the ZELLO app to communicate during storm chases. When I had watched Barry Gray in some of his videos, I noticed that he was communicating to other chasers with his phone, but I didn't know what app he was using. I found out it is ZELLO. Does anyone have any positives/negatives about this program. @Warren Faidley we might want to download this app if it's pretty decent to use.

B. Dean Berry

Staff member
May 25, 2014
I tried on multiple occasions to get ST members onto many push-to-talk platforms, including Zello. Interest was very low.

Zello is overall a great platform, but has it's definite problems, like continually logging itself out, failing to connect, and failing to receive talkgroups. It didn't used to have any of those problems on the free app, until they released Zello for Work at $6/month/phone, and suddenly those problems popped up.

Reactions: Jason Boggs

B. Dean Berry

Staff member
May 25, 2014
FWIW, in the past year, ST has had PTT communications groups on Zello, Discord, Sprint Direct Connect +, and Motorola WAVE OnCloud.

Of all of them, WAVE was the best at staying connected and pulling through under most conditions, but was also the most expensive. The SDC+ group was never used once, as it seems most ST members steer clear of Sprint. Zello was used a tiny bit, as it was free, but had it's own connection issues, and people loved to overuse the VC functions of Discord, even though things would get buggy the second any form of convergence happened.

Reactions: Jason Boggs