Youtube dropping monetization for storm videos (not April Fool's)

Discussion in 'Weather In The News' started by Dan Robinson, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Douglas Kiesling

Their real long term plan is to replace Disney, Viacom, Comcast, Sinclair and the rest of the major media companies as the source for content. Within 15 years, Cable TV will be like a land line. Only needed by those in rural areas.

2. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

There's unfortunately a new chapter breaking in the Youtube demonetization saga, and it's the biggest one yet. Today, scores of channels were completely removed from the Partner program (all videos demonetized) under a new policy that sets a minimum requirement of 1,000 subscribers and an ongoing 4,000 watch hours per year to maintain advertising eligibility. The move is apparently at least partially in response to the Logan Paul incident, yet another in a long series of bad press from popular channel owners' questionable shenanigans.

Many chasers are getting the notification that their channel is no longer eligible for monetization.

Youtube's blog post on the new policy:
    https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kevin R Burgess

4. Kevin R Burgess

What I mean by 'political' is they,"Google" are being pressed by out-side groups,that have lobbyist in DC that are Evangelical,that want "Only" their agenda tought, while the Republicans are in power !.
    So, 'WATCH OUT' anyone that pushes their non-issues

5. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

While there is clear evidence of a political bias with Google as a whole, this latest change is affecting everyone across the spectrum. This could very well be another play in the old media vs new media chess game, but without any evidence to clearly point to that I can't say whether this latest change is related.

6. Warren Faidley

YouTube is yet another social media giant trying to survive a viciously competitive market. They removed my channel, but I would care less. The amount they paid for monetization was basically a scam. I can always post videos on Facebook. This is the same for Google and their Ad Sense program -- another system for ripping people off. This all reminds me of royalty free photography where photographers were totally abused. I am SO glad the bulk of my professional career occurred before this abusive marketing took over. I eventually plan to destroy all my original transparencies and digital files to avoid any form of abuse when I am gone.

7. Marc R. O'Leary

It would be a shame if all your work was destroyed. You should donate it to an archive, or find a trustee to care for it.

Or have a Burn Warren's Stuff Party somewhere in the plains where we can all meet up and make a day of it.

8. Warren Faidley

9. Marc R. O'Leary

I'm in. I'll bring s'mores fixin's.