WRF model under Windows

Angel Dimitrov

Hello,

MeteOS v1.0 is here, an user friendly tool for running of WRF model under Windows. It has graphical user interface to configure the model, you can plot 30 weather maps like pressure, temperature, dewpoint, wind, theta-e, cape, helicity, shear, to plot soundings, to get text forecast for your location based on computer algorithms (TFG-Text Forecast Generator). The map outlines are better, more details, new options for NAM, RUC initialization. Look for yourself:

http://www.stormlab.net/wrf/wrf.html

Best Regards,

Angel

Joey Ketcham

I've never used MetOS before, do you have to run this under another program or something? I installed it but couldn't seem to get it to run, it's like a file that is not associated with a program to run with.

Angel Dimitrov

WRF

Hello,

Just get VMware Player from http://www.vmware.com and install it, load meteos-2008-wrf.vmdk. Also you have to type a password.

You can reach me on StormLaboratory AT yahoo DOT com.

Cheers,

Angel

Angel Dimitrov

> Now, if you could create something like this for the GFS... ;) LOL. I will install as soon as I get home.

Hey Brett, just give me the source codes for Linux of GFS and I will do it;) If you have some time, please add a link to my site (stormlab.net).

Angel

Greg Higgins

Supporter
Oct 10, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I downloaded Angels' WRF software (and the VMWare Player ver 2.0.2) and had a problem during the install. I am hoping that someone on this forum had run across the same problem and had a solution. My computer is a PIII running Windows XP SP2, has 202GB left on the hard drive and has 1GB of memory. The error message is:

C:\Program Files\MetOS\metos-2008-wrf.vmdk

An error occurred while trying to copy a file:

There is not enough space on the the disk

Click Retry to try again, ........

I have emailed Angel and he doesn't have an answer except to install on a friends computer. Any comments or suggestions?

Greg Higgins

Oct 2, 2006
Norman, OK
www.btsull.net
My best guess is you dont have enough storage for the program. you dont have enough hard drive space. the program is very large. at 996mb (97.3 percent of 1Gigabyte) it takes a lot of space and lot and lots of RAM to run, and run at top speed. So... You may want to try an external harddrive or something of that nature. Just a suggestion.

Greg Higgins

Supporter
Oct 10, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Please note my previous message. I have 202 GIGABYTES available on my hard drive, even after downloading the 996mb install file. Angel states in the FAQ that the program only requires 20GB to run, so space on the hard drive is not the issue. I assume it has to do with the code that Angel used to write the program. Has anyone else had a similar issue?? Is anyone currently running MetOS??

Greg Higgins

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Higgins

Supporter
Oct 10, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Ah......I went back to Angels website (www.stormlab.net) as quoted in previous messages and since he first posted on Oct 30, he has revised some of his pages. There is now no longer any mention of the $149.00 service and the program is no longer "free" as still advertised. You now must pay (which is fair!) a modest fee for his time and trouble. It is confusing though. Angel, can you elaborate???

And this still does not address the issue I currently have.

Greg Higgins

GPhillips

EF4
Jul 8, 2004
Topeka KS
If you're running a Pentium 3 with a > 200 GB hard drive, you probably have an ATA/SATA controller card. I'm not sure any P3 motherboards can natively handle any hard drive over 128 GB.

Perhaps the Linux version that is running under VMWare player is having difficulty with loading drivers for the controller card, or "seeing" the hard drive properly?

His website states.

Step 3: Purchase it, you will get the username and password to login into the virtual machine.
He gave me the passwords in the past for free! but I don't know if it's free now or not. The last time I asked for a key he told me I need to BUY pay to get the key, that had been a few months ago.

I used his software in the past; you need to know a little bit about what’s going on to get it too work.

First off its LINUX running on a virtual machine on your computer, you need vmware player to make it work.

IMO A basic knowledge of LINUX is needed.

Angel Dimitrov

hello

Hey folks,

I'm sorry for all that confusion and problems. Also I had to post at marketplace section.

About the hard disk problems - it can be due to Inno Setup, a small freeware tool, which I use to pack the meteos virtual machine, possible on some hard drives it fails to uncompress the big file.

Now I have to go, after few hours I will be back with more information.

Cheers,

Angel

Dec 19, 2004
Lenexa, KS
www.severeplains.com
I successfully downloaded it and installed in on my computer, it was put onto an external hard drive which has around 180 GB of free space left. I'm running Vista with 2GB RAM and it didn't seem to have any problems installing at least... This is a very computation intense program and really if you want to run a WRF model on your computer you had better have a top of the line processor along with plenty of RAM space. Otherwise you are going to be taking up hours of computer time to finish one model run...

Angel Dimitrov

meteos

Hi Greg,

I asked the developer of Inno Setup for more information on the problem with the full disk. Today or tomorrow, probably we will have some idea how to fix it.

Cheers,

Angel

Angel Dimitrov

about the computer requirements, if you run the model on very high resolution like 1 km, it can took a day to compute the forecast, but on small domain like 50x70/20 km grid, the time can be half to one hour (for 18 hour forecast).

Angel

There is one more thing everyone should know. The software is all free you are paying for the setup. Keep in mind the setup is VERY complicated.

Below is the link to download the source code for WRF.
It will run on any UNIX / Linux system

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/get_source2.html

You can get the free install of VMware Server
If you use a dual core CPU this will run MUCH faster.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

You will need some version of Linux or UNIX to run.

http://www.debian.org/
Or
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Now keep in mind this is not something you can just run and installer and go!
If you do not have a good working knowledge of Unix/Linux, TCP/IP, and VMware you should look at his software.

His software does work well, I used it along time ago and it worked well.

Angel Dimitrov

meteos

Hello,

Tyler wrote:

> There is one more thing everyone should know. The software is all free you are paying for the setup. Keep in mind the setup is VERY complicated.

It's complicated, but when you install it from scratch - when you install Linux, when you get the source code, and try to complie them, for me it will take three days to compile the model, and here we don't account for the automation, which can take a month. If you use the Robert's software, it will take between half hour and a day/two to install it, here we don't account again for the Linux and for the scripts for the maps. With MeteOS, you get installed Linux, graphical user interface, which makes the running as hard as clicking of the mouse, you get and scripts for maps, TFG. Well, there is much more work to be done to make it better, there are some bugs, some people report problems, but I work on it alone and can't do everything so fast... I'm the system designer, the developer, the webmaster, I give the support, I make the advertisement, etc, some people know how much effort cost all that. This is my long term project. I started to play with weather tools back in 1995, and with weather models back in 1999. I wrote software for MM5 back in 2001 and I was one of the the first, who offered such kind of product online. Then the computers were very slow, now there are better machines. Again, the model can "eat" few hours in computations. Before I offered "WRF support", which means paying only for support, now I offer MeteOS as product, not as service. The source codes of the WRF are free in the public domain, it's obvious, it's written on my site. MeteOS is not free of charge.

> You can get the free install of VMware Server. If you use a dual core CPU this will run MUCH faster.

The VMware Server is a new tool. Before vmware.com had only VMware Workstation, next they released VMware Player, now they have many products. I didn't know about the server, sounds like a good option, will look forward to see how it works.

> You will need some version of Linux or UNIX to run.
> http://www.debian.org/
> Or
> http://www.ubuntu.com/

You need Linux, in case if you install from scratch. MeteOS comes with preinstalled Tao Linux, with KDE, no need to know Linux at all. Debian is excellent for server, very robust, and once you install it, you can update the kernel and all software packages via Internet (apt-get comes handy).

The price is of MeteOS is $24.95, but it will be expensive after some time. I just want to make it popular.

And sorry for the topic in section "equipment". I'm looking for people to help me with the advertisement, any ideas? I'm planning to pay to some sites for banners, still researching which is the best case.

Cheers,

Angel