Winter Storm Series 11/26-11/30 High Plains/Great Lakes

Dan Robinson

Staff member
Jan 14, 2011
St. Louis
stormhighway.com
Pretty classic midlatitude winter storm, complete with convective severe on the warm side. Lots of interesting things happening. Thundersnow potential will likely be fairly high once the surface low starts deepening tomorrow morning.

Reactions: David Yates

James K

EF3
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
There was no thundersnow in my area, but the snow has been & still is coming down good, & with the wind at times it looked like a blizzard.
I've taken some video clips & grabbed some radar screenshots. Might try to post a couple pic's on here later.
(and a YouTube vid might be in order)

Reactions: John Farley

James K

EF3
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
I'd planned to get this posted earlier, but was busy in general, and wasted a fair bit of spare time last week on getting the controllers for my Christmas lights working right. Evenings this week I was messing with video.

(Considering its now a week later, I almost didn't bother posting a reply...but I did say I might, so:)
Where I'm at in CO we had 12" of snow on the ground when it was over.
Main roads are all clear, but even now neighborhood streets are still a mess due to their crap-poor job of plowing (or really lack thereof)

Pic's below are: A park covered in snow/mountains in background (taken Nov 27), Radar from Nov 26 7:33am while the storm was still going good, Sounding from Nov26.

Attachments

Reactions: David Yates
Nov 23, 2019
Baltimore
We seldom think of death tolls. I remember in Western NC we always seem to lose a few kids every year to black ice. Sad.

It was indeed a potent winter storm series. A potential storm 5-7 days out as the storm track moves further east. Will continue to monitor. GFS further south. ECMWF blinking......

Attachments

James K

EF3
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
Interesting (and sad) report @Dan Robinson .
Ofcourse what news/accident public-records/etc reports don't show is the all injuries with long term effects.

I'm kinda surprised CO only shows 1 death, and not even on the height to the storm (Nov 25/26)

James K

EF3
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
Also thinking back on that storm, and being in the mountains...
I was up in the mountains (not that far from Fairplay actually) on the Sunday before the storm (Nov 24), at one point I noticed the clouds had what I can only best describe as 'almost a purple tint' to them. Its not something I've seen before, and looked a bit weird.