Discussion in 'STORMTRACK: Announcements' started by Danny Neal, Feb 7, 2015.
Profiles added today:
We figured it would be nice to have the new owner of the site listed
It's about time you slackers!!! Just kidding of course!
Hi Danny, I messaged you about a week or so ago with my who's who info, I was just wondering if you have received it. Or should I email whoever is making the pages up?
Laura, you can message @Dan Robinson with the info as well as any staff member. Danny has been pretty busy in the past few days which is why you have not heard from him I'd imagine.
Dan, can I add a profile pic to mine?
@Robert Forry sure thing - just message or email me with the image email@example.com
New profiles added this week:
Added today - we're now at 70 listings!
Added this week:
We'd still like to see more profiles - if you haven't sent yours in already, consider doing it soon! There's no cutoff or deadline for these, but we expect traffic to really pick up once chase season gets in full swing, and we want as many chasers as possible to benefit from that.
I have put the Who's Who interview into a web form that should make things a bit more friendly for filling out and submitting your information.
Please feel free to distribute this link on your respective social media accounts so we can put together a comprehensive list of chasers: http://goo.gl/Brf7GX
Thanks in advance!
New profiles added this weekend (bringing the total to 94):
Thanks for the hard work Dan!
Dan, can I send to your e-mail both my photo and some tornado pictures to go with my profile --for you to place there on my behalf? I didn't see any instructions on how to do it directly on the profile page. Do I need to save my pictures in a certain file (not very computer savy)? - - - David Hoadley
Perhaps what we should really do is make people answer "Who is David Hoadley?" correctly before they are allowed to even BE in the "Who's Who" section!
Hello, sir, I look forward to reading your profile.
New profiles added today:
I don't think I want to be in a list of Storm Chasers. But I found the questions interesting, so here I go:
- How did you realize your love for weather?
Sitting behind the picture window when young and watching the storms fill the street up.
- When did you decide you wanted to storm chase?
When I found out you could.
- How long have you been actively chasing?
37 real long years.
- Do you chase for a reason?
Sparks! Lightning! Oh, and timelapse, cause our attention spans suuuuck.
- Do you see passion as a good or bad thing?
Good if real. Bad if faked.
- Do you prefer to chase alone or with a group?
Alone. Cause most don't know how to drive on chase.
- Have you ever considered going on a storm chase tour?
No. But I have considered doing a timelapse of a few I've seen.
- How do you feel about the current state of storm chasing?
It really sucks. The magnetic effect a tornado warning for the herd of red dots to converge on it is amazing. Worse is the convergence before the storm. "This" person's icon is going there, so let's go there too. Then we get 200 cars on some two lane road with 75% of the people not knowing... how to park!??!? wow... That and the media hype. Hay, TV Station! Your 'Storm Chaser' is more dangerous than the storm! Ouch?
- Which era of chasing would you prefer to exist? Old-school or new-school?
You mean when we drove normal cars, not Road Warrior Twistermobiles, and parked on side dirt roads or farm turnoffs? When we drove at speed on hiways and not matched storm speed? When we called a needle a needle cause it looked like a needle, not a stovepipe cause stovepipe sounds better? Ummm. Guess.
- How far are you willing to travel for a good set up?
3 hr tour. Errr, one way drive. Old and poor. Old and poor.
- What are your favorite areas to chase? Least favorite?
Best is anywhere that has scenery. Windmill, silo, nice farm, quaint town. Worst is anywhere east of I35 cause I don't have a quad copter. And not rich enough, or BS enough, to get to the Dixie Alley.
- What is you favorite type of set up to chase? Least favorite?
One with a real dryline, cause they're so rare since 2000. A real one, with west winds, hotter temps and MUCH lower dew points. One born of adiabatic mixing forming a real boundry. Not a surface trough where the winds veer 30 degrees over 100 miles. But few here know WTH I'm talking about, because today, everything is a dryline. You can see it on the dew point plot, it gets drier! Least favorite are ones that die at sunset and half my 'day' is blown. (Sparks!)
- What is your most memorable chase? Least memorable?
Most: May 3rd 1999 when I heard a chaser, during the Chickasha tornado, "Take a house! Get the house!".
Least: That's trick question right? A Catch-11? I'm sure I've forgotten in. By... definition.
- Have you ever feared for your life?
Every single moment I'm in the herd. Strange how I fear other chaser's driving more than the supercell.
- Are you afraid to make dangerous maneuvers while chasing? [I.E - core punching/hook slicing/living in the bears cage]
No. I'm a man's man, with large.... brains. Ya. I fear no animal or man. Except maybe Nixon, and he's dead. I think.
But seriously. The herd often does scare me. Not so much the storm, cause I have a better idea of what it's going to do, since IT has better structure.
- Do you have any superstitions?
Yes. Never chase on Christmas Day.
- Would you sacrifice a salaried job with full benefits, but only 2 weeks out of the year to chase for a paycheck to paycheck life with unlimited chasing?
Right now, I'd kill someone for a salaried job. Well. I mean depending on whom you want killed. But fairly flexible.
- Are you currently doing anything job related to the weather?
I feel I don't BS enough to be paid. If someone wants really nice timelapse or spark photos, I could use the $.
- Have you ever been to ChaserCon?
- Are you more likely to hang out with other chasers while waiting for initiation, or sit alone on a country road watching the sky?
Alone. So I can think instead of socialize. Which... seems to be a good 50% of the deal for many. Facebook on a country road. Thing is... Facebook won't make the school bus crowd, or cross, the center line. Well I mean it could, but only if the bus driver is celling and driving. Ya, muddled that metaphor.
- What is your favorite storm chase and why?
5-10-10 when shooting a timelapse of the pre-wall cloud updraft. For like 10 min prior. Then the wall cloud took 5 min to drop. Then 3 min later the tornado. Then the stream of chasers fleeing out from under the bear's cage. I mean really?!? 50 kts crossing at 90 deg and you're in the bear's cage? Prolly without knowing?!? Oh wait. That's my least favorite cause so many could gotten messed up!! Don't follow the TV Dudes. They often have no clue.
- What date burns in you [think bust] and why?
I'm not good at dates.
- Do you always know why you made the wrong or right decisions to chase a particular day?
No. We have no post storm discussion. Only trophy sharing.
- How did you learn what you know about forecasting and meteorology?
- Do you consider the day a success even if you don't witness a tornado?
Oh God yes. Any day I get back home with the car still sorta running and my hernia no bothering me.
- Do you feel short changed if you see a tornado from a greater distance to you than you prefer?
Ya. If I'm not right up there withing Disc Golf throw range. If I'm not endangering myself and other by my mere too-close proximity? Just not a good chase. I just don't feel like a man then. sigh... Ya... Old school. Like old school better. Notice on STORM CHASERS when Reed intercepted that tight drill bit first thing in the season. The follow crew got better video than Reed. Reed was closer. Muuuch closer. But.
- How do you feel about the post "Storm Chaser" generation?
Post-storm chaser? Huh? You mean "Post-Twister"??
- Do you feel like the scientific community should get the same respect as emergency vehicles around storms?
Yes. But who's that? .gov and .edu and the level of Time Samaras. But Ralph with his quad copter? No. And I'd love to see less Red/Blue cop lights on chasemobiles. It's ILLEGAL. Course I'd also like these same, often TV, crews to not pass me doing 85 in a 65 when the storm is still 30 mi away! So... dream on.
- How you do you feel about the media in regards to the weather and chasing?
I think they suck. Penal Industy? naaa. Homeless? naaaa. Roads that beat the crap out of your car? naaa. STORM! HYPE STORM! Then on the rare may 20 days, people don't have shelters so... A lot of warning to hide nowhere. It's not so much as cry "Wolf", as "OMG! RUN! WOLF! A DAMN WOLF! RABID WOLF!"
- Who are the most influential people to you out in the field?
Get back to me on that.
- Would you considering getting your children into storm chasing?
Only if I had them take acting lessons. Seriously.
- If you didn't know anything about storm chasing, how would you react if your child said they wanted to be a chaser?
- What do you fear most about a storm?
Herds. People that don't know how to park. Or drive.
- What type of storm do you prefer to chase? [Ugly HP/sculpted LP/classic/squall line]
High based, upper air driven, 1000 cape, NW flow. Best sparkers around. Zero chance of a tornado. Often little chase if window breaking hail. And sometimes extremely steady state. Important to allow you time to set up a shot. Not just go click.
- Do you stop your progress toward a storm for a great photography opportunity?
- How do you feel about law enforcement immediately around a tornadic supercell?
I think there should be more. Many more. And hand out tickets for obstructing the hiway. And big tickets for red/blue/white blinky on non-EM cars. $400 fine.
- Should storm chasers feel more entitled to be around storms than law enforcement or locals?
Yes, we should be able to PIT any local going to slow. I'm kidding there. Often the chasers are more dangerous than the storm, so the question might be, should chasers be around the storm?
- Do you have a job that supports storm chasing?
- Do you have a family that supports storm chasing?
My dog is very grateful when I return. Does that count?
- How long do you plan on chasing?
Until it's outlawed due to bad chasers. I'd give it 10 more years.
I sent answers via email some time ago but no addition yet - did it get through OK?
Paul, no worries, we have it! This week we will release an updated version of ST and we have waited on this new version to begin adding several profiles we have received over the past few weeks. Thanks for checking in - Dan will update here when his team gets the profiles added.
Has this feature moved as the link doesn't work?
I accidentally stumbled upon it today, after clicking on "FAQ" and was brought to this link.
The who's who list can be found here: https://stormtrack.org/whos-who-in-storm-chasing/
Is there any possibility of reviving this? I know some of the profiles may have stats and info that are dated. That combined with all of the chasers that might want to be added probably results in a large project.
Thanks for the heads up on the links - I edited the ones in this thread. If anyone wants to add a profile, please send the questionnaire and photos to my email at firstname.lastname@example.org