Who is still selling and/or still creating chase highlight DVD/Blu-Rays

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Bill Hark, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Bill Hark

Bill Hark EF5

In the past, I had hoped to cover some expenses with DVD/Blu-ray sales but mainly did it for fun and as a way of putting my edited video together in a nice way for me to watch or my friends. More recently, I've just been throwing up quick edits on YouTube. Having that video available on YouTube for myself and others to see has really taken the incentive away from making more polished and time consuming productions.

2. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

Take a look at Hank Schyma's Youtube channel - there you can see how the online medium really is the way to go these days. Hank's videos are IMO the gold standard for well-done chase videos distributed online - and just look at the audience that results: in the millions! And the income potential is hundreds of times more than what you'd gross in DVD sales, without all the hassle of burning discs and mailing packages.

Hank has a real talent and personality for these that me and most others probably won't match, but I would imagine a well-thought out production by most anyone might get a respectable audience that would far surpass viewership and revenue from traditional DVDs. I know most don't do DVDs for money, but it is nice to get *some* return. On YT it's a no-brainer to monetize your channel and give it a try.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adam R Davis

I'm not really selling so much as I'm offering to trade with other chasers who also have DVDs (or even VHS or whatever). I basically have "long edits" that I can burn on demand for the hardcore weather weenies who are interested. No fancy packaging or anything like that. The average viewer usually has an attention span of 2 or 3 minutes for anything that isn't Hollywood level drama, so I post shorter stuff on Youtube. I mostly shoot video for my own records.

4. Isaac Schluesche

I'm planning on making a Dvd/Web series of Wisconsin Weather this year. I'll post more about it later.

5. Jason Gassner

Jason Gassner Lurker

With so much video content available nowadays on social media, I think making a hard copy production is possibly not worth it unless you really put some time and effort in. Like Skip said about SA videos and having a documentary feel. It's something I've wanted to do, but it is a lot of work if you really want a good production.

6. Jane ONeill

Clyve and I still do DVD's and BluRays for each year.....always bring a number of NTSC copies over for anyone in the US who wants one

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shane Adams

• Like Like x 1
  8. Todd Lemery

Supporter

Thanks Shane, just ordered it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeff Wright

A video clipping service of more unusual types of tornadoes from across the web are what we need. Vortices from airplane inlets--what have you.

What I would like to see most would be some waterspout chasers use this to get into the cores of the better ones with funnels that touch the surface

https://seabreacher.com/purchase/