What happened to all the live video streams from storm spotters?

Discussion in 'Storm spotters' started by J. W. Bowers, Apr 20, 2014.

1. NatalieH

NatalieH Lurker

Hi! I just discovered live streaming last spring and absolutely love it! Can't wait for this year's storms! That being said I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from. Costs, demanding viewers, etc. So I get it. But for all those out there that still participate in it, I just wanted to say thank you so much! Someday maybe I'll learn enough to be able to safely chase myself, but until then you guys have no idea just how much this lady enjoys being able to see these fascinating storms from the safety of her living room. You guys stay safe out there!

2. Steven Marshall

I have to agree with Dean Berry. I've talked to two different outfits about live streaming and both were less than helpful. Fortunately, my tv station bought TVU backpacks for us to live stream. I cover a large urbanized region between Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, so I'm not dealing with rural areas like Kansas...but I've never lost a feed. I don't have to worry about getting a return on my investment cause I'm on the payroll. The few live streams we've done on facebook were a major PIA tho. The viewers were as described....critical, know-it-alls and demanding. So I ignore them. If one of the on-air Mets want to jump into the conversation and talk to the watchers, that up to them, but I'm busy driving.

3. cjflinn

cjflinn Lurker

I know this is a old thread, but with the increase in twitch.tv/irl streams I wonder how many people would do this. For me I do the irl (in real life) streams once in a while, dont have many viewers and when I do I talk to them unless they are being trolls. Also youtube live streams seem to be getting more popular and I think I see somewhere on here that one of the services uses youtube as the provider and they "host" you on their website with others.

I as others enjoyed watching just the live feed with no commentary, and if there was commentary it was between the chaser and the new station they chased for. Being from Oklahoma the most popular was/is Val Castor and his wife during Gary England's era at KWTV.

Im just starting spotting for the local area and I plan on streaming on twitch and facebook if I can use the same stream. I see from time to time a couple of meteorologists that will stream on facebook a bit of the chasers, and as others has said the comments can be so horrible, but since it is facebook and anonymity are less there people arent as toxic as twitch and youtube.

Im not going to be worried about getting the perfect shot for the stream that is what my handheld/ body mount is for.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Parrish

Jacob Parrish Lurker

You said it spot on man, im very surprised some have not tried to cash in on the twitch platform. You can even curb your chat with moderators that are sitting comfy from home. High risk days would unfortunately bring in a lot more amateurs trying to make a quick buck and more than likely putting themselves in very dangerous situations for viewers.

• Like Like x 1