Western PA Tornadoes Project

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Jordan Plumbo, Nov 4, 2007.

1. I need some info on Tornadoes that have happen in Western PA since the 1940s? I know F2-F4 Tornadoes have happen but I'm looking for alot of stuff on Western PA Tornadoes.

I can use Pics, Info, or anything else.

I trying to get in depth on Tornadoes around Pittsburgh. I will make a Webpage about Tornadoes in the Winter

Please PM me if you a have questons?

2. Chris Hayes

3. I found that an F4 Tornado had left a 15Mile Path through Vandergrift Area in PA with some homes compleatly flattend with 140 Injured

It was during a pop up Tornado Event in 1980

4. John Olexa

5. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson Guest

June 2, 1998 was the most recent significant outbreak.

6. I remember that day a Microburst and a possible tornado in Russellton PA that took a shed a lifted it over the town dropping it in the woods.

7. Bill Hark

Bill Hark EF5

You may want to check out my DVD compilation of tornado videos from the eastern United States called "Eastern Fury." In addition to rare footage from other states, I do have a nice segment from the Hermitage, PA tornado in 1985. There is also some security cam footage (on the DVD, not on the website stills) from a truck stop that was damaged from a tornado in the Willow Street, PA area on 7/27/04 (Lancaster County). There is info about each tornado before the footage. I think this DVD is the only place to see the 7/27/04 footage and the largest amount of the Hermitage footage.

http://www.harkphoto.com/EasternFury.html

Bill Hark

8. Heidi Farrar

http://www.salisburypa.com/tornado.html

Jordan, this F-2 tornado came through Salisbury, PA on May 31, 1998. (Make sure you scroll down and you'll see there are 4 pages of photos.) -- I grew up only a few miles south of Salisbury, across the border in Maryland. I actually moved a year before the tornado hit, so I was not in the area when it happened (the last MD town I lived in, Frostburg, got hit by an F-4 a couple of days later, on June 2nd, '98!)

If you google "Salisbury PA tornado 1998" you can find other random info that might interest you. :)

9. I rated a Tornado F4-F5 Based on damage pictures I have seen from a 1944 Tornado down in West Mifflin Area near Kennywood PA. The structure seems to Multiple Vortex Wedge with a path of 1/2-1 Mile Wide at points. 10 Mile Path seems possible with narrow arcs in damage.

JUN 23, 1944 6:30 pm 17 dead 200 injured
    All deaths took place at McKeesport, Dravosburg, Port Vue, Versailles, Boston, and Greenock

Possible F4-F5 Tornado
    SEP 7, 1893 4:00 pm 3 dead 20 injured
    Homes and barns were swept away near East Troy, Granville Center, and Franklindale, Bradford County.

http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/worstts.htm

#9 Jordan Plumbo, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007