WeatherFlow Tempest Weather Station

Jun 19, 2005
New Mexico
I bought this some months ago from indiegogo (basically a Kickstarter). It just arrived today. So far easy setup and it's a simple one unit. Until I get it mounted to a more permanent pole, I have it attached to a tripod (it's also provided a 4/20 bolt mount/typical tripod mount). This may be a way for storm chasers to monitor local conditions, while parked in the field. Overall, seems to working well except for some spurious lightning detection. I got it because of the sonic anemometer, and thus no moving parts.

Attachments

Reactions: Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda

Resident meteorological expert
Staff member
Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Broomfield, CO
www.meteor.iastate.edu
The price looks great for what it can offer. What are the accuracy specs?

Also, can you show a closer picture of the mounting part so I can get a better look at how it can mount? Thanks.

Jun 19, 2005
New Mexico
Unfortunately, they haven't provided lots of details about their error bars... I have another station running to compare. I haven't gone full met nerd, so I don't have any scientific grade stuff to compare though. Maybe I can bring it to work though...

This is the mount for the tripod. The other provided is a 1" pole mount.

Attachments

Jun 19, 2005
New Mexico
Yep, it's your standard bolt holes for a tripod.

Here is where the data is being published.

Ignore any data before about 7pm yesterday, I moved it around a few times. I also figured out what was making the lightning strikes give false positives, it was a bug zapper we had running.

The site has a clear fetch for wind to the west, but I may have some issues with solar radiation, I believe a tree will throw a shadow over it. A problem with having trees on your property...

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff Duda