US Chase Map Project

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Jeremy Perez, May 6, 2015.

1. Jeremy Perez

So this update is kind of late for the 2017 season, but wanted to get it out there anyway. This adds info for the remainder of the western and eastern US. I also got permission from the Reddit user WestCoastBestCoast94 to include the road image he generated, so that underlayer has been included....mostly shows up as gray patchiness at these resolutions. I've exported 3840px wide versions, but they're 4MB each, and not sure if the site will let me upload those.

Versions with and without tree canopy below:

US_ChaseMap_20170529withForest_1920px.jpg

US_ChaseMap_20170529_1920px.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Quincy Vagell

Great work, Jeremy. I've been a huge fan of this map and it's awesome to see it completed, coast to coast. I keep a hard copy in my car for quick reference. Sometimes if I'm debating on chase targets, I will assess road networks and visibility as important considerations, making this map we useful. Even though I've traveled the Plains quite extensively over the last few years, I still reference this map. (Especially when deviating east of the Plains.)

Having grown up in the Northeast, it's also nice to see New York mapped. I knew that parts of upstate New York had relatively chaseable areas, and now that has been objectively evaluated here. Despite some hill and tree issues, I've also chased in North Carolina a few times and this map confirms the not-so-awful road networks there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jeremy Perez

Thanks for the feedback Quincy, I'm glad it's been useful! I'd probably hedge on calling it objective...it's based on a visual assessment of the road network, so there's a fair amount of subjectivity in there. At a variety of points, I'm positive people could find things that aren't spot on. Texas was questionable in a lot of places, because of how often the road grid there is rotated 45°. At available resolution I couldn't visually tell if those networks were truly gridded or not, so they got knocked down in quality due to uncertainty. Mainly, I tried to err on the side of pessimism if I couldn't tell for sure how well gridded the network was.

Despite all that, I've been pretty satisfied with how it's held up in areas where I've chased. The area in NW Oklahoma/Barber County Kansas definitely checks out as sketchy; some tough road choices too in the less networked area in N Texas along the Red River; but then some pretty decent zones in the Mississippi flood plain. The map gave me confidence with a setup that looked like it could produce in that flood plain & I caught a tornado near Grady, Arkansas last year because of it. Some day, North Dakota shall call, and I will answer.

• Like Like x 1