Tornadoes with Tentacle Like External Vortices!!

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Bill Tabor, Apr 30, 2011.

1. I've seen them. Palm sunday 1965 in Elkhart Indiana.Interesting thing I remember was the tentacle that was way too close to me was hissing.

2. Dave Gallaher

Well, the Weather Channel dubbed these 'mustache tornadoes' in their feature on the outbreak. I hope it doesn't stick.

3. Dave Kaplow

Here's another view of the Cullman tornado I found on Youtube. Pretty spectacular.

But... Mustache tornadoes?!? Hell no, there's got to be a better name than that. Agreed, this cannot stick!

4. Dave Gallaher

Yep--tentacle is a better term to me. BTW, that last Cullman vid has some great footage, but unless you kill the volume you're stuck with a Saliva track.

As the power is coming back on, there will be a lot of phone videos uploaded over the next few days.

5. Andy Wehrle

6. Dave Gallaher

Thanks for finding that one--I kept remembering one from TVC where the woman's voice said "Isn't that funny looking?"

7. Bill Tabor

Wow! That Cullman tornado is INCREDIBLE with all that violent motion chaotic horizontal and multiple vortices interacting! I suspect it must have wreaked some significant damage.

8. Jeff Wright

#33 Jeff Wright, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  9. E. Clark

E. Clark EF0

That is exactly what I was thinking, Bill, was of the horizontal 'satellite' on the Ft. Leonardwood pic- when I watched the Tuscaloosa torn come in on abc33 live feed. I have seen a lot of tornadoes in my lifetime, live and on video with satellites, but I have never seen these 'tentacles' this amazing before this year.

#34 E. Clark, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  10. Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda Resident meteorological expert
    Staff Member

11. Scott A. Kampas

I forgot about the Brady example; thanks, Jeff. I saw a good example of horizontal subvortices in footage of the El Reno-Piedmont-Guthrie tornado, near the beginning in Jeff Snyder's video. I would look for more as if one occurs on a day, there tend to be more. That was also the case for 13 Mar 1990.

12. E. Clark

E. Clark EF0

Wow. I just found this Cullman Tornado footage and it shows multi and spectacular horizontal vortices. http://youtu.be/Z_prZn13JXY

Like you, I have seen a lot of tornadoes; live and on video, and do not ever recall seeing so many or such strong horizontal vortices such as these before. Some wit on Youtube is calling them 'Hornadoes' on another video thread. Sounds silly, but it works.

I believe this can only happen with high ground speed.

#38 E. Clark, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  13. Jeff Wright

It all reminds me of Lovecraft's piece, The Dunwich Horror--the spawn of Yog Sothoth made of "squirmin ropes.'

14. Todd Renshaw

If it sprouted some temporary eyes, it could be a shoggoth.

15. Jeff Wright

Its an idea for a great horror novella. I had a piece that I call Chase Season, where a lead researcher is actually a resurrected Charles Dexter Ward who has forgotten his ancestry and is doing storm modification with airships. Here, the Tri-State tornado was actually an incarnation of Yog Sothoth, what with airy, rushing presences, and tales of the powers and principalities of the air. The story is set in 2025, a century after tri-state. I'm surprised that more hasn't been done in this vein. Suction vortices as piping flutes--evil spirits that rise and circle and sing...

We see twisters in Poltergeist, Something Wicked This way Comes, and Natural Born Killers? Tall Tale I think, Beavis and Butthead...in a cartoon episode of Emergency! Happy Days, Six Million Dollar Man episode etc. But never in a starring role.

To me what would be most chilling is to have the Weather radio warning broadcast start to break up, and then hearing the computer voice start to chant.. Praise be his comings and goings
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/82546-Your-current-weather?p=1885433#post1885433

Now the hysteria starts
    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/...d-weather-panic-is-the-new-normal/#more-40695
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/116268-Cold-Air-amp-Tornados?p=1897928#post1897928

#41 Jeff Wright, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  16. Todd Renshaw

There goes the last of my fragile sanity.

17. Dave Kaplow

Now that would make a GREAT tee-shirt... You put a closeup of Cullman at it's weirdest on the front, with a caption underneath reading "Tonadoes With Tentacles!" and then on the back the shirt would read "Miskatonic University Chase Team".

I know I'd buy one!

18. Jeff Wright

Now for someone to photoshop one of those horizontal vortices reaching inside a window and pulling someone out...

19. Kem Poyner

The first time I seen those horizontal vortices was several years back when Spencer South Dakota was destroyed. That was one mean looking beast. It looked snorting mad and you knew it meant business. Like an angry bull.

20. ELY M.

ELY M. EF0

21. cdcollura

cdcollura EF5

Good day all...

I saw these same features on the violent Rice county, Kansas tornado on April 14, 2012.

[​IMG]

http://www.sky-chaser.com/image/mwcl2012/m13tor10.jpg

This is the view looking to the NNW from near Geneseo, Kansas on April 14th (2012). The vortex "filament" or "tentacle" appears to be just ahead of the tornado in it's path as it is moving to the NE at over 35 MPH.

I see this phenomina on fast moving tornadoes. I believe two things may be at play ... One, the fast motion of the "parent" (main) circulation overspreading the slower moving (relative to the storm motion or even opposing) inflow air at the surface. I remember seeing a presentation at ChaserCon about this - With some pretty complicated mathmatics / equations - Referring to it as "vortex shedding".

Second, the storm could be "riding" along a boundary, or even the FFD, where a horizontal rolling of the air ahead of the tornado is being stretched just before entering the "upward" orientation closet to the tornado's leading edges. There was another video posted on here (the Cullman tornado by ELY M) that showed a pretty stout funnel extending out from the main tornado that supports this.

#47 cdcollura, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  22. ELY M.

ELY M. EF0

weak tornadoes can get them too.
    I seen Mobile, AL tornado having them, then I found a video of EF-0 tornado in MN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNz2c1NEWe0

from NWS:
    Forest Lake Tornado
    THE TORNADO THAT OCCURRED IN FOREST LAKE WAS A HIGH END EF-0 WITH
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS BETWEEN 80 AND 85 MPH. THERE WAS
    INTERMITTENT DAMAGE ALONG A PATH LENGTH OF APPROXIMATELY TWO AND SIX
    TENTHS OF A MILE. THE MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH OF 75 YARDS.
    THE FIRST SIGN OF TREE DAMAGE OCCURRED ALONG 200TH STREET NEAR
    IMPERIAL AVENUE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED NORTH TO JUST WEST OF THE
    INTERSECTION OF 210TH STREET AND INGERSOLL AVENUE. THE WORST DAMAGE
    OCCURRED IN THIS AREA...WHERE A METAL POLE BARN HAD ITS ROOF LIFTED
    OFF AND DOOR BLOWN OUT. IN ADDITION...A NEIGHBORING PROPERTY HAD
    SEVERAL TREES UPROOTED OR SNAPPED OFF. THE TORNADO CONTINUED
    NORTH-NORTHEAST TO 215TH STREET...WHERE A LARGE OAK TREE FELL ON A
    HOUSE. AT THIS POINT...THE TORNADO CROSSED THE EAST SIDE OF THE BODY
    OF WATER KNOWN AS FOREST LAKE. AFTER CROSSING THE LAKE...THE TORNADO
    LIFTED UP NEAR SHADYLAND POINT...WHERE A FEW TREES WERE DOWN ALONG
    JASON AVENUE.
    ...SURVEY TEAM ASSESSMENT OF THE FOREST LAKE TORNADO...

23. Paul Knightley

I guess the thing to do is to try to picture the whole wind flow - the clouds, of course, are just visual manifestations of parts of that flow. Of course, where condensation is occurring it means pressure/temps are lower there. Chris's picture above is very interesting in that the 'tentacle' appears to being pulled into the base of the tornado - thus, it's perfectly tracing out the pressure dropping towards the centre of the tornado. The funnel-type shape to the cloud, of course, also traces that pressure deficit.

As for where these rolls of vorticity come from - well, the environment around the tornado is already rich with vorticity. Some bits may be small-scale rolls generated by inflow jets. Perhaps others are down to some kind of shear vorticity, whereby the faster moving air around the tornado is creating a shear zone along the edge of the 'cylinder' (although we must be careful not to think of the tornado as an object - rather it is a process).

24. Dave Gallaher

In my ignorance of mesoscale wind fields, I wonder if some of the faster moving structures (or 'structural processes') are actually kicking up a wake?