TIV1 coming out of retirement?

Jonathan Scrogham

Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2022
Fairfax, Virginia
I did a bit of digging, and it turns out that the owner of the TIV 1 also rides in the TIV 2, some guy named Robert Clayton. James Breitenbach, one of the lead mechanics who helped restore TIV 2. Haven't been too many updates, but from what I know they will be replacing the claws with spikes like the TIV 2, just by repurposing the piston shocks. Sounds like this will be a more science approach than a film approach now, but Clayton said they will be replacing the mirrors with FPV cameras. If this ends up happening, it will be so sick to see both chasing together. Also, all of these people have ties to Silver Lining Tours, but not sure if there is any connection. That would be pretty cool, a storm chase tour in the TIV. Probably pretty pricey though.
(Update) Apparently they are adding rockets to the vehicle too, much like Reed's Dominator 3.

Reactions: Chase K
Apr 23, 2010
I might leave one in the path of a strong/violent twister, then leave in the other one.

The more narrow drill bit deals interest me more…and what I would like to do is to get one of these:

—Inside a waterspout. Submerge on the way in…and pop up into the “eye.”

No debris…no dirt.

Jonathan Scrogham

Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2022
Fairfax, Virginia
That is an interesting idea. I kind of feel like people don't get as excited about waterspouts, but they are a sight to behold. I do think one crazy Florida man youtuber drove his little boat into a waterspout.

Reactions: Chase K

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
It will be interesting to see an (honest) write-up on the exact science being collected and what they hope to accomplish. Like before, I seriously doubt the vehicle will be filled with professional scientists conducting critical, life saving research. It will likely be people shooting footage for social media glory, like before. My concern is always the false idea that the vehicle can withstand a strong tornado, since the ground effects are only effective if there is a flat surface and it's not interrupted by flying debris.