The Weather Channel stops publishing video content to Facebook

Discussion in 'Weather In The News' started by Dan Robinson, May 23, 2018.

1. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

https://digiday.com/media/the-weath...facebook-video/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Even a major media outlet with multi-million budgets can't make Facebook work for them, and apparently Facebook was actually paying them a share.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Warren Faidley

TWC has lost so much credibility over the last 15-20 years it does not surprise me. They are so many online sources for weather, they are no longer relevant.

3. Quincy Vagell

In terms of ROI, Facebook isn't a remotely profitable platform, unless a company/media outlet/etc. uses extreme clickbait to ensure assets consistently go viral. Even TWC wasn't able to achieve that, probably largely due to the terrible algorithms Facebook utilizes.

In general, Facebook is becoming less relevant with time, especially with the recent scandals, stories of fake news, etc.

I can say I happily ditched the platform for personal use seven years ago and stopping putting effort into using it for storm chasing about two years ago.

I have roughly twice as many followers on Instagram, but the same asset posted on both platforms results in 2000% - 5000% more engagement on Instagram over Facebook. The reach is about 1000% greater on Instagram too. That's pretty wild. On Facebook, you have to literally pay Facebook to ensure that more than ~10% of your followers even see your posts.

4. rdale

rdale EF5

Actually I think you misunderstood... They aren't pushing video to Facebook. They are still EXTREMELY relevant (to advertisers based on viewers / hits) online and on TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ryan Witek

Ryan Witek Lurker

TWC May not be the best source at all times - No source is. That said, for people who aren't as devoted to the study of weather/chasing/etc. as we are, it is a good way to get information in an easily digestible format. I've had teachers who couldn't understand what a radar loop was showing. It's good to see them moving away from Facebook, as I believe more people should than likely do. Hopefully others will follow suit.