St. Louis sunset lightning - June 28, 2018

Discussion in 'Sky photography' started by Dan Robinson, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

The Midwest continues to overperform with multiple ridge-defying MCSs. The latest on Thursday the 28th put on a show of sunset anvil crawlers in downtown St. Louis. The discharges were top-tier sky-fillers, with a couple shots full of lightning channels with no stacking required.

h-1903.jpg

Video:

The Arch was hit by lightning with the first flash the second round of storms produced (no warning), so I continue my streak of missing Arch strikes (which happen once per year on average, I've missed 5 so far and caught only 1). My driver-side dashcam caught a sliver of it, which is included at the end of the video linked above.

Blog post with a few more images:
    http://stormhighway.com/blog2018/june2818a.php

• Like Like x 4
  2. Alex Elmore

Thursday's event was nuts. I'm currently a summer Pathways Student (basically a paid student intern) at the St. Louis NWS and I had to work 13.5 hours that day because of this storm. This is the second event this summer where convection develops over NE/IA in the morning and arcs south/southeast toward the STL area. None of this shows up in the CAMs either, which is helpful (sarcasm). Anyway, I got off work and stepped outside to a beautiful display of mammatus and crawlers. It was great to see so many people across the area also appreciating this gorgeous display. This may have been a down year, but the skies over the St. Louis area have had a decent amount of ominous shelves and stormy sunsets like the one below.
    IMG_7596.jpg
    IMG_7880.jpg

• Like Like x 3