SPC forecasting lecture series

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Jeff Duda, May 15, 2017.

1. Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda Resident meteorological expert
    Staff Member

SPC has released a series of YouTube videos detailing greatly the forecasting process along with a lot of information on severe storm processes. It's quite exquisite! Now you can learn to forecast just as the SPC does!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/spcousom/

• Like Like x 19
  2. twista

twista Lurker

Great videos...thanks for the heads up!

3. Ben Holcomb

Ben Holcomb Digital Janitor
    Staff Member

There will be more videos posted before the end of July. It's taking awhile to close-caption them. A huge resource, I learned plenty of things from sitting in and filming said classes.

The dual-pol ones are, IMO, some of the most applicable to chasing. Dual pol is powerful, learn how to use it properly!

• Like Like x 5
  4. David Williams

Ben, do you know if the newer videos will be released under the preexisting headings, or will they be entered in a new section? I'm just wondering if I will need to go combing through the videos to find the new ones or if they will be identified as "new" when they are released at the end of July? Thanks and great job on these: I've almost completed them.

5. Bill Hark

Bill Hark EF5

I am definitely looking forward to viewing these videos. Thanks for posting.

6. Ben Holcomb

Ben Holcomb Digital Janitor
    Staff Member

David I am not sure to be honest. I assume they may populate some into topics already there, and perhaps some new topics as well. I know I just had to re-do one of the last ones in the list, so I assume they are close to posting.

7. Boris Konon

Outstanding videos, not only for review, but also for fine-tuning one's knowledge and learning new material!

8. Darren Lo

Darren Lo EF0

This series was just updated with a huge new batch of videos. Some of them were appended to the end of existing sections, while many more went into new sections of their own.