SN SN Windows client: Use Windows Location Services instead of COM port

• Please note the forum rules were updated today. You may review them by clicking here

Steven Heicher

Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2019
Nashville, TN
I'm suggesting this because COM ports are depreciated in Windows 8 onwards, and to successfully use the client (or GR software for that matter), we need to install GPSGate to create virtual COM ports off of Windows Location API. I have already made the suggestion to Mike Gibson @ GR (personally), and using Windows Location Services eliminates the need to have GPSGate.

Lou Ruh

EF2
May 17, 2007
SE PA
I am not sure COM ports were deprecated in Windows 8. Do you have a link to where Microsoft said that? They still work fine in Windows 10 as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, not necessarily a bad idea to add Windows Location Service support, but, not at the expense of what already works.

Reactions: Bob Schafer
May 18, 2013
From what I read online, the COM ports are still there, just hidden. You have to select the option to unhide hidden devices.

May 18, 2013
I forgot to note, I use a globalsat usb gps pick on Win 10 and GR detects it as a COM port just fine. No GPSGate needed. I agrre8than Windows Location Services support would be nice.

Lou Ruh

EF2
May 17, 2007
SE PA
From what I am reading, Windows now hides inactive COM ports (unless, as Randy said, you choose to unhide them) ... if they are active, they are not hidden. I have found nothing saying they are deprecated.