Scud Bomb? Need help identifying this...

Trevor Shepard

Enthusiast
May 7, 2019
Springfield MO
Im not sure this is the right place to post this. I have a strong inclination that this is a scud bomb, it came from the base of some weak afternoon convection. Screenshot_20190726-114620_Gallery.jpg

Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Non-rotating multi-cell thunderstorms often produce updraft lowerings that look very similar to lowerings associated with supercells. That would be my guess as to what this is, but it can be hard to judge from still pictures. Whether the lowered clouds are associated with persistent rotating motion is more important than how impressive they look in a picture IMHO. Plains storms almost always look way more visually impressive than this, but wimpy pathetic looking storms can put down small twisters sometimes, especially low-topped supercells from upper cut-off lows or landfalling tropical systems. That said, this looks like a multi-cell feature to me just because the broader cloud base surrounding it doesn't have any curved features at all and is also quite small. A healthy supercell, even low-topped, will usually have a wider more uniformly dark base. The way the scud/lowering looks isn't as important as the appearance of the overall cloud base.

Reactions: Andy Wehrle
Apr 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I was a noob in my 3rd year of chasing, and I was totally fooled into thinking this was a big tornado over Dodge City. Scud.
Yea. That's a good example of a really ominous looking non-tornadic cloud. Sometimes from a head-on perspective an inflow feeder will look like it's lowered vertically to the ground when it's actually tilted and descending at a shallow angle towards the horizon. An RFD shelf can also create an eerie wedge appearance in the distance when you're looking along it from a cross-section point of view instead of head-on.

Jan 31, 2017
Joplin, MO & Iowa City, IA
Here are two images of mine from May 27, 2001.

View attachment 19578

View attachment 19579

I was a noob in my 3rd year of chasing, and I was totally fooled into thinking this was a big tornado over Dodge City. Scud.
Your pictures should be part of every NWS spotter session. They show how easy it is to get fooled. (I'm too embarrassed to post the scud that hoodwinked me in my earlier days.

Dec 8, 2003
Southeast CO
www.youtube.com
Now I am kind of hijacking the thread, and I sincerely apologize, but I want to tell you more about the story of my scud. This isn't the first time I have posted those vidcaps on ST. I posted them on ST the night of May 27, 2001, the day I shot the video, proudly showing everyone the "big tornado" I had seen. It wasn't until the next day that I was smacked down, and I was humiliated. Don't worry about it, Steve. You gotta be able to laugh at yourself.