Red sprite video

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Jeff Duda, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda Resident meteorological expert
    Staff Member

A formerly-active Stormtrack member and longtime chaser posted this YouTube video last year that I just recently saw. It may be among the most impressive videos of the phenomenon known as sprites (red ones in this case) I have seen in awhile. I wanted to share this with everyone.

I am not an expert on lightning nor the upper-atmospheric associated phenomena of sprites, elves, and blue jets, so don't ask me for more information about any of this. I'm sure Wikipedia and Google can offer plenty of excellent information on these.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Mark Blue

Staff Member

This is one of the more interesting phenomenon (to me) on the research side of Meteorology. The first or second year I went to Chasercon they had Walter Lyons present on this topic and to date I don't think anyone has picqued my interest quite like he did. Here's a link with his accomplishments listed. I guess you'd call it a brief resume of sorts. If you Google his name and "Sprites" you should come up with some interesting reading material. Thanks @Jeff Duda for posting this topic as it's something I find really cool and interesting!

3. justinmacauley

Wow this is really beautiful and fascinating. I remember seeing videos on sprites and related phenomenon a few years ago and it was really interesting to learn about them.